Try GUE/Try Scuba event at Wallins Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fofo and I were in the first group, so we missed Mike (I guess he was in the back room while we were in the pool. Susan and Rob did the intro lecture for our group, and we were also paired with Rob in the pool, as there were four of us who wanted to try doubles so Rob and (I think) Joe took two each. Thsat worked out well for us, as Fofo and I will presumably be taking Fundies with Rob.

We had PST 100s or Faber 85s available, and since Fofo owns PSTs he took those and I had the 85s with an AL plate. My impression of the doubles was the same as Mike's, that they're really not all that heavy (especially compared to one of my LP112s). However, I was wearing my wetsuit with no hood or gloves and 3mm boots in fresh water, so changing to my dry suit and typical cold water gear I expect the weight difference would be a lot more noticeable.

Getting in the first thing I noticed was how stable they felt if you were on your stomach (and later on my back), and how easy it was to maintain depth. Rob thought Fofo and I had good buoyancy and trim and could take Fundies in doubles trying for a tech pass, which was good to hear. He also had some comments about a number of details that we should work on, most of which I had to have relayed to me by Fofo later to confirm, because I'm deaf as a post without my hearing aids:D We did our share of swimming around, a couple of air shares, and I did a bit of swimming on my side and back to see how much trouble that was, as well as a couple of forward and backward somersaults. Surprisingly easy, although the extra inertia of the doubles was noticeable, and they really wanted to pull me from my side onto my back. Part of that was owing to a loosely-adjusted crotch strap and waist belt, as we didn't have time to dial it in more precisely.

I'd met Rob (and Susan and Allison before) and aside from being impressed with his back-kicking (man, I've got to learn how to do that) I also found him very patient and pleasant. Fofo and I were planning to take Fundies in singles for a rec pass and then go for an upgrade later, as we lack much of the equipment for doubles and I, at least, worry that my hearing will make it difficult for me to assimilate the greater number of comments that are likely to be generated by going for a tech pass. Guess we'll both have to think about it, and see how money looks.

My thanks, to Rob, Susan, Beto, Joe, Kevin and all the rest of the GUE people who helped out. This was apparently the first time they've run something like this, and it seemed to go well.

Guy

aside from being impressed with his back-kicking (man, I've got to learn how to do that)

He is amazing under the water with his back/kick

Yes, Rob's back kick is like poetry in motion. It's really the only reason I married him. He often accuses me of unconsciously swimming forward on deco, but really I am secretly doing it so that I can see that sexy back kick. :)

I was in the second group of the day with Mike G., and had a very similar experience. I felt more confident in the doubles than I expected to, but I feel like I'd definitely want more practice in a set of my own prior to taking Fundies in them. After getting some advice from Sue, I'm leaning towards taking the class in singles for the time being. It's mostly so that I can focus on learning the skills I really want to get out of the class, as opposed to learning how to dive doubles with too much going on. :)

Big thanks to Beto, Sue, Rob, Joe and everybody for setting this up - it was a great time, and a good opportunity!

I just wanted to second and third the sentiments that everyone involved at this event where not only highly experienced, meticulous divers, but also really nice, friendly and patient. I arrived at Wallins for the second group and had a really enjoyable time. We had a brief equipment configuration talk given by Beto (whos enthusiasm for GUE and its principles are hugely evident) and had an opportunity to talk about what motivated us to come along for the ‘show and tell'. I think the group (myself, Mike and Brian) are steadily following the same path towards recreational diving using doubles. Personally, id like to go to doubles for increased gas availability and time in the 30-70 foot range (typical Breakwater dive for me) and also for some deeper dives down to 100-120 feet (some of the deeper sites found off-shore and shallow san diego wrecks mainly). A little extra redundancy for the girlfriend-buddy (soon to be certified) would also be re-assuring for her too.

I was suitless for the session, since I was halfway through replacing the nasty clown feet on my DS with a pair of latex socks (ssooo much easier on/off and no more broken toes) so I turned up with a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, my XL powerfins and my mask. I felt a little under-dressed when Mike and Brian busted out their uber-nice DUI’s, but I was only really planning on a quick swim around the pool. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that Mike and Brian were throwing in some skills practice while there. Since i don’t yet have that foundation (im doing essentials in March) I was happy just doing circles and blowing bubbles.

I was paired up with Susan and was immediately impressed with her attentiveness and chattiness. I got kitted up with a set of Robs LP85’s and it fit almost right. Since I was only in a t-shirt, the harness was a little slack, but it was pretty good. The rig was surprisingly less cumbersome than I initially imagined, which bodes well for the future. We got in the water and went quickly through a modified s-drill, and a valve check. Isolator valve and the right post I got my fingers to, but it was a little tough on the left valve and I commented that there was no way I was doing that in the drysuit. Immediately Susan commented that If I looked up instead of the more intuitive down when reaching for the valves it would be easy. I tried it and could immediately get all three valves easily in the palm of my hand with room for a bit more reach. Obviously going to be a bit tougher in the DS, but one of my biggest fears with using doubles has been reduced to a mere practice exercise with a definite chance of success.

Once under, it took a little getting used to the momentum of the rig and need to wait longer than usual for any bouyancy changes to become apparent. I had a little trouble with the rig sliding, but that was entirely because the harness was a little loose. Stability was incredible, and once you get them moving, they really move. During a little SI/debrief, Susan commented on my elbow placement (I had them tucked to tighten the harness) and trim (she said it was a lot better than I actually though it was. I didn’t think my knees were up enough, but they were spot on apparently). We went back down and I splayed my elbows a little brought my head back hard against the manifold and I seemed to nail it. In that position, the ideal prone position actually felt very natural, stable and obvious.

We headed back up and talked a little about my plans for the future in diving, my upcoming essentials class and my intention to dive UTD style for the next year or so. After 18 months or so, im thinking of going to doubles (im going to make that a green-card present to myself) and trying Fundies. She commented that from what she had seen that I would have little trouble getting a Fundies rec pass right now (I think she was just being nice) and that a number of divers are doing recreational dives in doubles because of the advantages they provide for redundancy and stability. It has certainly got me thinking about making the transition sooner.

In all , this event was awesome. Some pool time with truly world-class divers and instructors, a no-pressure ‘try-dive’ environment and a complete willingness to answer any and all questions. I really got a lot from it and cant wait for the next one. Ill bring my DS next time and try out the HP100s.

Many thanks to all involved, especially to Rob for the kit, and Susan for the pool time and answering questions. I really appreciate it. Thanks also to Wallins for letting us take up your pool.

Neil

Thanks everybody for coming out. I think the event went really well, and I think all involved had a great time :D. We're considering making this a somewhat regular event, so I'll keep the board posted when the next one comes around.

Safe diving,
-Rob

Please do, Rob, I was sorry to have missed it.

I felt a little under-dressed when Mike and Brian busted out their uber-nice DUI’s, but I was only really planning on a quick swim around the pool. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that Mike and Brian were throwing in some skills practice while there. Since i don’t yet have that foundation (im doing essentials in March) I was happy just doing circles and blowing bubbles.

Well, technically I was in a Diving Concepts suit (though my undergarment is a DUI). I think I saw Mike doing some skills stuff (and playing with his ridiculous 21w light :D), but I was mostly trying to work on trim and learning what it truly means to be head-heavy. :)

The thing that really became clear to me is that I think I've been getting away with some things in my singles rig that the doubles rig tends to highlight as a problem much more quickly. It'll be fun to try to unlearn some bad habits, but at the end of it I think I'll have a much better handle on my trim and propulsion.

Great reports, guys!

Glad to hear that everyone had a fantastic time. Making this a regular event will surely help in growing the community and increasing awareness.

Yes, Rob's back kick is like poetry in motion. It's really the only reason I married him. He often accuses me of unconsciously swimming forward on deco, but really I am secretly doing it so that I can see that sexy back kick. :)

:rofl3: At least you married him for a good reason, rather than boring old love, companionship, security or what have you:D Good to see you again, and please give us a head's-up when the slug paper's published.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom