Try GUE/Try Scuba event at Wallins Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know where the DIR curious gals are -- SoCal has collected a bunch of them, but they're rare as hen's teeth up here.

Yeah I've had to travel all the way down to So Cal & up to Washington to find DIR girl partners, but it's been well worth the effort ;-)!

C'mon guys, how 'bout bringing some new DIR gals in ;-) ?!

Yeah I've had to travel all the way down to So Cal & up to Washington to find DIR girl partners, but it's been well worth the effort ;-)!

C'mon guys, how 'bout bringing some new DIR gals in ;-) ?!

I think BAUE has three or four women members in addition to Susan Bird and Allison; Dionna House comes to mind, and I imagine there are others.

Guy

Anyone know why Halcyon doesn't make a 50 lb. Evolve? The 40's just not enough lift for me locally; I calculate I need about 42.5 lb. now, and when I start doing tech dives with thicker undergarments that will probably increase to about 46.5 lb. It seems silly to have to use a 60 lb. Evolve or 55 lb. Explorer. The DSS Torus 49 would seem to be perfect for me. I imagine I'm not the only one with this issue.

Yep - my weighting works out around the same, and I'm looking at the DSS wing. Based on how well my 40lb Eclipse singles wing works (despite being a bit more than I really need) I wouldn't be terribly worried about the 60lb Evolve performing too badly even if it's overkill. Still though, between the price difference and the less excessive lift capacity the DSS wing looks pretty attractive.

I think BAUE has three or four women members in addition to Susan Bird and Allison; Dionna House comes to mind, and I imagine there are others. Guy

Yes, there are more too. But many are superstars & I haven't found any local gals that are new to the path and looking for partners.

I just love diving with the gals in So Cal & April up in Seattle.

Oh well - ya guys are great & my team (Erik & Peter) are awesome!

Hey, guess it' s not so bad to be the token gal,

looking forward to lots of fun :D!

Our Fundies class starts in 10 days!!! So excited!

Last edited:
Yes, there are more too. But many are superstars & I haven't found any local gals that are new to the path and looking for partners.

I just love diving with the gals in So Cal & April up in Seattle.

Oh well - ya guys are great & my team (Erik & Peter) are awesome!

If you don't mind a token gal, we'll all have fun :D!

Our Fundies class starts in 10 days!!! So excited!

We'll start calling you "Token" :wink:

Last edited:
Yep - my weighting works out around the same, and I'm looking at the DSS wing. Based on how well my 40lb Eclipse singles wing works (despite being a bit more than I really need) I wouldn't be terribly worried about the 60lb Evolve performing too badly even if it's overkill. Still though, between the price difference and the less excessive lift capacity the DSS wing looks pretty attractive.

My Pioneer 36 isn't bad either, although I could probably use something around 30-32 just fine for singles if I wanted to go back to dumpable weight. As it is, my lead is all in trim pouches on the camband, but I know I can swim up 6.5 lb. with no trouble, and my SMB gives me up to 20 lb. of lift if I get tired. It's really too much to fill to do an easy deploy from 20 feet, but deeper it's not too bad.

Guy

No, that's Hogarthian:D

kathydee wrote

Anyone know why Halcyon doesn't make a 50 lb. Evolve? The 40's just not enough lift for me locally; I calculate I need about 42.5 lb. now, and when I start doing tech dives with thicker undergarments that will probably increase to about 46.5 lb. It seems silly to have to use a 60 lb. Evolve or 55 lb. Explorer. The DSS Torus 49 would seem to be perfect for me. I imagine I'm not the only one with this issue.

Guy

Guy,

When I got my BP/W, I asked what type of wing and lift. For diving 100 single HP steels, the Eclipse 30lb was recommended by Halcyon and several local divers.

I thought it wouldn't be enough and found on very rough surf, I'd swallow some salt water. But, then I learned to add just a tad of argon into my drysuit while at the surface, and the problem was resolved.

I never got to dive the 40lb eclipse single wing, it's just a little wider than the 30lb, later learned that the drag is a little more. Many divers love the 30lb wing for our waters.

Back to the 40lb evolve doubles wing. Because I qualified for the double down promotion that Halcyon had, I only paid $100 bucks for a doubles wing. I called them and asked why not the 60lb evolve wing.

He asked me if I was going to be with a scooter and diving stages, and what type of doubles I would put together. I answered all his questions and he said the 40lb evolve was my best choice, for my current application.

Many other more experienced divers in our waters chimmed in and concluded the 40lb evolve wing would be the best choice.

The way I see it, when the time comes for me to enter Tech, if I do, then I will reach into my closet and pull out the appropriate wing for the job, which should be the 60lb Evolve.

Guy, since going the DIR route, I'm starting to own a lot of equipment thats not making itself back to craigslist for a quick sell, it's in fact becomming part of my diving gear in my garage, this wasn't the case when I had all recreational BCD, LDS standard stuff, all that scuba equipment found new homes via the internet.

I now own a brand new pair of doubled 100 HP worthington's, my old original pair of single 100 hp worthingtons, PST 80 HP, Luxfer 19cf bailout, Luxfer 6cf Argon bottle. That's 7 tanks that reside in my garage and I'm a new diver. Can't imagine how many tanks the veteran DIR crowd have.

I think Doc Wong could open a scuba shop with all his tanks. :D

Last edited:
We'll start calling you "Token" :wink:
:rofl3:

Better yet, on the lookout for new gals to invite on board :D! Any takers?

Back to the 40lb evolve doubles wing. Because I qualified for the double down promotion that Halcyon had, I only paid $100 bucks for a doubles wing. I called them and asked why not the 60lb evolve wing.

He asked me if I was going to be with a scooter and diving stages, and what type of doubles I would put together. I answered all his questions and he said the 40lb evolve was my best choice, for my current applications.

Many other more experienced divers in our waters chimmed in and concluded the 40lb evolve wing would be the best choice.:D

I've seen alot of the local DIR tech divers running the 40lb evolve with doubles, scooters, and what not.

If it's good enough for them - for me it's a no brainer.

I sampled one, and then made the purchase. So far I'm quite happy.

Last edited:
Better yet, on the lookout for new gals to invite on board :D! Any takers?

Ummm...I'll take one! :D

I've seen alot of the local DIR tech divers running the 40lb evolve with doubles, scooters, and what not.

If it's good enough for them - for me it's a no brainer.

I sampled one, and then made the purchase. So far I'm quite happy.

I know Ryan's wing is a 40lb Halcyon and with his PST HP100's, stainless DR plate, and a heavy V weight his rig is negative at the beginning of the dive. Gotta make darn sure it is clipped off if throwing it overboard, as it will be hanging from the tag line.

I know Ryan's wing is a 40lb Halcyon and with his PST HP100's, stainless DR plate, and a heavy V weight his rig is negative at the beginning of the dive. Gotta make darn sure it is clipped off if throwing it overboard, as it will be hanging from the tag line.

Yeah, one size doesn't fit all, but I've seen some pretty big guys using them.

It's quite nice to dive so probably worth checking to see it it will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom