Troubles with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously one does try not to bang one's gear into the environment. However, it does happen. If it doesn't happen to you then I submit that you don't go inside many wrecks.

The answer, IMHO, is not to add complexity and entanglement hazards by adding gadgets but to A- try to avoid the contact and B- Use top quality gear which will stand up to the contact on the occasions when option A fails.

Tom

Ahem...

Yes, I can get 24" LPI and Backup hoses and that might fix my problem. However, it doesn't fix the problem with the high pressure hose...it seems like it wants to slip off the shoulder and fall behind the wing. Or perhaps this won't be a problem.

...Aside from overhead considerations, are there other problems with the Genesis or OMS manifolds?

SA

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Ahem...

Yes, I can get 24" LPI and Backup hoses and that might fix my problem. However, it doesn't fix the problem with the high pressure hose...it seems like it wants to slip off the shoulder and fall behind the wing. Or perhaps this won't be a problem.

...Aside from overhead considerations, are there other problems with the Genesis or OMS manifolds?

SA

You shouldn't need to get a longer LPI hose, just the backup reg hose. I used the one that came with my wing with DS4s, I had to get a 24" backup reg hose.

Your SPG hose behind your wing is a problem because if your wing is inflated you won't be able to get your SPG up where you need it. Here's the fix:

The angle of your left post DS4 is based on your SPG hose. Get it as straight down as possible without bending the hose too severely (the pic you posted earlier was too severe, back it off a tad). You'll be able to easily accomplish this IF you lose the hose protectors or cut them down.

Going to a sub-standard manifold remains a bad idea.

Tom

I'm rather curious as to why you are not using the center LP port for your regulator second stage? I think that if you orient the first stage with this port pointing up, and to the side you want it, that the other ports should line up better without hitting the tanks. I believe that this was the intent of the designers and engineers when they thought through this regulator design.

Years ago, Scubapro was embarrassed when their lower-priced regulator actually performed better than their higher-priced regulater. This regulator had only one LP port on the first stage, and it was right on top of the piston. It turns out that the air flow for the flow-through piston was aimed right directly at the LP port, rather than the top of the LP chamber, bouncing around internally, then finding the LP port. After this finding, Scubapro put an LP port at the end of their expensive piston first stages too, and got the performance increase that the cheaper one had been found to have.

In other words, you will find better regulator performance if you mount your regulator on the center port coming out the top of the first stage, and your routing problems may then go away too.

SeaRat

John,

Perhaps I do not understand what you are saying but I do not believe the DS4 has a "center" LP port. Maybe this pic will clarify the port layout on the DS4. It is taken looking down on the high pressure side. You will see that there are 4 LP ports and one HP port. In the center, on top, you will see an arrow pointing to the HP balance plug. Under this plug is the HP valve seat.

I believe I have the first stage oriented as it should be. Unfortunately, with this tank, manifold, and reg combo the routing remains sub-optimal. I think I'll do as Tom suggests and just get a 24' backup hose.

I'm a bit bummed that I didn't keep my TX 100s.

SA

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Perhaps I do not understand what you are saying but I do not believe the DS4 has a "center" LP port.

It doesn't. It has an IP adjuster that LOOKS a lot like a port but isn't.

Stephen, your problem here is really easily and cheaply solved, just get the 2" longer hose. There's thousands of techies happily diving this setup.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom