Troubles with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't they an entanglement hazard sticking up like they do?

My idea was that if hitting the first stages on an overhead was a concern, that you could fashion a little 5mm neoprene sleeve with some velcro for the first stage - should be enough padding to protect the first stage from dings. Just enough to protect the body of the first stage without hiding any telltale bubbles you'd see during a bubblecheck, and removeable so your first stage isn't soaking in salt water after the dive.

I am going to lay low and watch this the discussion should get lively now!
joens

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Aren't they an entanglement hazard sticking up like they do?

My idea was that if hitting the first stages on an overhead was a concern, that you could fashion a little 5mm neoprene sleeve with some velcro for the first stage - should be enough padding to protect the first stage from dings. Just enough to protect the body of the first stage without hiding any telltale bubbles you'd see during a bubblecheck, and removeable so your first stage isn't soaking in salt water after the dive.

Here goes.... :)

While they could be considered an entaglement hazard, so to could the neoprene (HeadBanger) protector. When I took Cavern, that was 1 of the only things my instuctor could bust me on as a hazard. My thought on this is... IF YOU CROSS OVER LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO , instead of under a line, there shouldn't be a hazard. But I'm only a lowly Cavern Diver. But I did buy those fin kits from you. Thanks. I saw a kit @ Bill Rennaker's on Sunday, but it had a fabricated pivot buckel (like on Blade) instead of the "S" hooks. But they were still $65. I like mine JUST FINE.

Sorry - I was thinkign of wrecks not caverns - there tends to be little sharp rusty bits hanging from the overhead waiting to hang you up, fishing nets, monofilament fishing line, kelp.... the neoprene cover I was thinking of would be more like a stubbie holder around the valve... like a sleeve - or is that an Australianism... is there already an existing product called the HeadBanger???

Oh yeah, your outstanding spring strap kit is on its way :) Sorry about the delay, I've been travelling this last week and a half.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Sorry - I was thinkign of wrecks not caverns - there tends to be little sharp rusty bits hanging from the overhead waiting to hang you up, fishing nets, monofilament fishing line, kelp.... the neoprene cover I was thinking of would be more like a stubbie holder around the valve... like a sleeve - or is that an Australianism... is there already an existing product called the HeadBanger???

Oh yeah, your outstanding spring strap kit is on its way :) Sorry about the delay, I've been travelling this last week and a half.

Yes. There are. They are called HeadBangers . The website was just set up http://www.manateedreams.com , but you should be able to get them from any shop. They're about 3" x 5", flat & are neoprene on the outside & fuzzy inside for the Velcro to adhere.

I was beginnin' to wonder about the 2nd pair. :). Not a problem. I can only use 1 set of fins @ a time. LOL

Scubaroo once bubbled...

Found their old link. http://www.manateedreams.com/toppage1.htm

Isn't it easier just to stay off the cieling and the back of the tank should take most of the hit if you do hit. You need a lot of force to shear off the first stage.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom