Troubles with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently put together a set of aluminum twins.

Here is my set up:

Tanks: Catalina standard 80s
Manifold: Halcyon (most recent model)
Bands: Highland 725
Regs: Apeks DS4s with TX 50 seconds
Spg: Uwatec Master Diver
Wing: Halcyon Explorer 45#
Plate: FredT heavy
Standard GUE configuration with hose lengths standard EE with 7ft long.

Can anyone guess the problem? Hint: It has to do with hose routing.

SA

DS4s aren't the happiest routing first stages. What I did was to remove the hose protectors and just bend the hoses more than I really wanted to.

You also don't mention a can light so your long hose might be flapping in the breeze. If you must you can tuck a bit of it in your waistband.

Tom

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
I recently put together a set of aluminum twins.

Here is my set up:

Tanks: Catalina standard 80s
Manifold: Halcyon (most recent model)
Bands: Highland 725
Regs: Apeks DS4s with TX 50 seconds
Spg: Uwatec Master Diver
Wing: Halcyon Explorer 45#
Plate: FredT heavy
Standard GUE configuration with hose lengths standard EE with 7ft long.

Can anyone guess the problem? Hint: It has to do with hose routing.

SA
Stephen, I have almost the same setup...double catalina 80s with DS4s and 50s. I have the explorer 40# wing, but that is irrelevant. Anyway, the hose routing on your right post is just like WreckWriter said and should be no different than it was on your singles. On my left post, I had to get a bit longer backup hose than I had on there with my singles rig since the second was a little too short. The HP hose does take a nasty bend coming out from the first stage with Catalina 80s (I don't have this problem on my 72s). I left the hose protectors on and just hold the hose and the first stage with one hand (bent hose) and screw the DIN fitting in with my other hand. It looks ugly, but works well. There are some posts on hose routing with DS4s that you could search on...pictures as well if I remember correctly. Do a search on DS4 and hose routing or something similar and you should find it..

As usual, you guys are right on.

Here is a pic of my left post. Notice that the DS4 is tilted down so that there is no stess on the hoses. Like this, however, the alt hose is a little too short...when I turn my head to the left the backup reg pulls pretty hard to the right. I can keep it in place but it does take some effort. Also, the high pressure hose wants to slip off the shoulder of the wing.

SA

And here is the right post. It seems OK like this and does not seem to shorten the LPI hose too much.

SA

Lose the protectors. You might need a longer hose for backup too but losing the protectors might be enough.

If you feel the protectors are a gotta-have item, try cutting them in half (making them short)

Tom

Now, with the DS4 on the left post forced horizontal, there is a scary tweak in the high pressure hose as it is wedged against the shoulder of the tank. Hmm...sorta defeats the purpose of the hose protector. In fact, if I snug up the protector, the kink in the high pressure hose gets worse and it becomes nearly impossible to get the DS4 horizontal and still be able to tighten down the DIN.

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Now, with the DS4 on the left post forced horizontal, there is a scary tweak in the high pressure hose as it is wedged against the shoulder of the tank. Hmm...sorta defeats the purpose of the hose protector. In fact, if I snug up the protector, the kink in the high pressure hose gets worse and it becomes nearly impossible to get the DS4 horizontal and still be able to tighten down the DIN.

The way it is in this pic is no good.

Tom, look at that kink in the high pressure hose...can't be healthy.

SA

This isn't going to be very constructive for you, but the ATX200s route beautifully (but at a cost!). $780 online for regs versus $500 or so for DS4s + second stages. Do you need any stage bottle regs? :)

Are you using a 22" backup hose? Try switching it out for a 24" hose - I find the 22" to be too short for me on a singles rig, on a doubles it is useless for me because it's mounted on the left post and has even further to travel to reach my mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom