Trip report: Cavern tours, or dreams do come true

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great report!

I'm so excited to be going there on the 14th.

awesome report, Lynne

so nice... makes me envious

("What can be possibly interesting to see and experience in such a sterile environment such as a Cave . . .")

Okay this Wreckhead is convinced too:) !

TSandM:
I felt as though I'd been transported out of myself, literally exalted and utterly joyful, aware of my skin all the way to my fingertips and totally in the moment. It was the most exquisite and intense pleasure I've had diving, and it was composed in part of the utter clarity of the water, the incredible beauty of the surroundings, and the complete peace of the place. Reef diving is visually and kinesthetically busy -- Life and water in constant motion, demanding your attention in every direction. The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed. I had some of the same reaction to floating between the walls of two billion year old rock, deep in the Grand Canyon, but this was ever so much stronger. This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

Okay, just re-read this to Jen and had to make additional comments about this part. It's probably the best description I've seen explaining why I dive caves. Lynne, you have a way with words. Especially this part:

The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed.

My air consumption is at its best in caves, even the high flow systems, and this has to be why.

Again, great report!

beautiful report & pictures, lynne. what did peter think?

what did peter think?

I loved it!

I was NOT at all sure I'd like it -- either from the diving standpoint (that is, because of the diving environs -- dark, overhead, etc.) or from the physical environs (Lynne loves caves, I've never paid a whole lot of attention to them).

From the diving standpoint, although we were in the Cavern zone, I didn't "like" being near the light! The darker it got, the better I like it. Like Lynne, I wanted to follow the other guys into the dark.

From the geological standpoint, I was fascinated and I think it would take MANY dives for me to even begin to think "I've seen one mite, I've seen 'em all." Floating in a room was just too cool for words. This created a whole new feeling of weightlessness and flying that is delightful beyond belief.

Yeh, I sort of got into it....

Fundies in two weeks -- got to get that tech pass.

Peter Guy:
Fundies in two weeks -- got to get that tech pass.
How many of us EVER thought we'd hear Peter say that ???

:D :D :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom