Trip report: Cavern tours, or dreams do come true

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
There is a risk you take in dreaming too much about something. Over time, the anticipation can grow beyond what the reality is capable of delivering, and when you eventually get there, it's a disappointment. But sometimes the real thing meets or exceeds your expectations, as the silence and immensity of the Grand Canyon exceeds what can be evoked by mere description. And so it was with the cenotes of the Yucatan.

About a year and a half ago, I stumbled across Andrew Georgitsis's Mexican Cave Video on the Scubaguys site. I watched with amazement as the incredible beauty of the cave unfolded on the screen, and I thought, "I've got to do that." The idea of diving caves has guided me since then, and it was natural that, when we planned a trip to Cozumel with friends, I would try to get to the mainland and see what I could of the caves. Cavern tours are possible for people with only OW training, and I knew a friend had done a week of tours with the guys at DIR Mexico, so I contacted them to set up a day or two of the same kind of thing for us. We had some difficulty with e-mails not getting through, but finally, I thought everything was sorted out, and on Monday, March 26th, we were to head for Tulum.

Unfortunately, that morning, I awoke to the sound of my husband vomiting. He had a bad case of turista, so he stayed home, and KMD and I shouldered our gear bags at 6:30 in the morning and headed for the Playa del Carmen ferry. A short twenty or so minutes later, we easily found a cab driver who was pleased to make the half hour trip to Tulum. In fact, he was so pleased, he gave Danny his phone number and he came and picked us up in the afternoon, and met us at the ferry the next morning. This made life very easy.

We drove through the very flat land, taking in the tremendous development and the large number of resorts that have been built in the area, and finally, the cab drew up outside a dumpy stucco building just like all the other dump stucco buildings we had passed. (BTW, the dumpiness is all external -- Inside, Zero Gravity is one of the cleanest, best stocked and organized dive shops I've set foot in yet, and that includes the gear storage and repair areas as well. If you want meticulous, go look at Zero Grav.) Outside were a van and a beat up pickup truck, and a skinny guy in his early 30s. He walked up as we got out of the taxi and said, "There were supposed to be FIVE of you!" I said, "No, five was three months ago. I've been talking to Danny . . . " and he interrupted, "I'm Danny." I was shocked. There was no WAY this guy had been doing cave diving and exploration for almost 20 years, unless he started in diapers. (My Fundies instructor has the same incredible youthfulness -- Do you think Nitrox or helium has anti-aging qualities?) At any rate, I quickly explained how we had gone from five to two, and Danny stifled his irritation and we began to get organized.

(It turned out, as I learned later, that they rarely do cavern tours, especially in single tanks, and they had had to break down stage bottle setups for tanks for all of us. We were reminded regularly by the stickers on the tanks that we were not to exceed 120 feet of depth :) )

First, Danny wanted to figure out if there was any gear we needed, so he went through the list: Regulators? Check. BCs? Check. After the third or fourth brisk response from me and Kevin, Danny smiled and said, "Hey, guys, this isn't a class, you can chill." I think we were a bit nervous, and determined to make a good impression. Danny was surprised and pleased to discover we had good primary lights (which, by the way, added enormously to the experience of the caverns). We loaded our gear into crates and put it in the back of Danny's very well used van. The interior appears to have seen many years and miles of cave diving, but despite the wear, it is like the shop -- meticulously organized. And, of course, the car keys hang on a bolt snap :)
0189.jpg

Off we went to Ponderosa, which is a large cenote used a lot for swimmers and snorkelers, as well as cavern tours and cave divers. The open water is about 80 meters long. I know this because someone asked Danny while we were there, and he said he knew the dimensions because they do the Cave 1 swim tests there. Swim tests -- the very phrase gave me the shudders. At any rate, it's a well developed cenote, with parking, shaded tables, and a platform and ladder for entry. We walked down and looked at the water, and then came back up to get the cavern tour introductory briefing.

0193.jpg

Danny started with the history and geology of the Yucatan and how the caves were formed and developed their decorations. He then covered the five rules of accident analysis, as well as reviewing proper trim and non-silting propulsion and signalling protocols. I was sort of surprised by all that, since he knew we had both passed Fundies, but it turns out this briefing is standardized and mandated for all cavern tours. He went through the dive moment by moment, how the cave would run, what we would see, what he would point out to us, and what he wanted us to do at different points. Once he was finished, we set up our equipment, which I enjoyed, after three days of having someone else do it for me. We got dressed, and headed down to the water.

0190.jpg

There, we reviewed the dive plan, and despite Kevin and me having done this in the parking lot already, we did an exhaustive head-to-toe equipment check. There, I got gently scolded, because when I was asked if my backup light was working, I said, "I checked it in the parking lot." Danny just looked at me and quietly said, "How do you know it didn't flood?" And I looked rueful and told him I just wasn't very good at restowing the light. And equally quietly, he said, "Well, if you aren't good at something, that's not a reason not to do it. It's a reason to do it more often." And, of course, he was right.

The main line in the cavern at Ponderosa does not extend to open water, so Danny had to run a reel in about 50 feet or so. He tied off, and we swam the gold line, which goes from the main cenote to and through a second one, and a little further on. For those who aren't familiar with the area, the cave systems are extensive and not far underground. From time to time, the rock overlying a portion of cave collapses, creating a sinkhole, or cenote. It is quite possible to swim from one area of open water, through a portion of cave, to a second and distinct opening. The rules of cavern diving vary from agency to agency, but we were working with a definition of "no further than 200 feet from open water". Two hundred feet from light is actually quite a long way, and there were times when one could only be sure there was ambient light if one covered one's primary and peered into the distance. It's not cave diving, but I think it's a good fascsimile thereof.

Ponderosa isn't (or at least the portions we dove weren't) heavily decorated, but the rocks are full of fossils, which Danny pointed out to us as we went along. There is a halocline there, which is a strange visual phenomenon, as you pass through a layer of very disturbed visibility and distortion. To my surprise, there was a thermocline associated with the change as well -- The salt water was MUCH warmer than the fresh. Danny had warned us to expect the buoyancy change going from fresh to salt, but honestly, I didn't notice much.

We turned the dive at the "Peligro" sign which marked the end of the cavern zone, and swam steadily back to our entry. Seeing the light coming through the open water, as you come out of the darkness, is just as magnificent as people's photographs suggest.

Back in the van, we headed to Taj Mahal. Here, we had a steeper and rockier path to the water, and no facilities but a gravel parking lot. Again, we walked down and looked at the entry, and got our dive briefing in exquisite detail from Danny. This dive would be passing through several cenotes, and involve a couple of loops. There would be intersections on the line, and we went over the navigation carefully. Danny told us we would see some large fossils, and that he would show us an area of pottery shards left from tribute offered in both the remote and recent past to what are viewed as sacred springs.

Taj Mahal also has a halocline, and we played games with it. If you hover just below the interface and shine your light almost parallel to it, you can bounce the light off the boundary and it appears like a mirror. On the other hand, if you sit below it and allow it to settle, you can look straight up through the water and see every vein on the tree leaves above you. In one chamber on this dive, there is an almost intact dome ceiling with several small holes. These admit brilliant, focused beams of light, which hit the water and then refract acutely at the halocline. It's a strange and beautiful effect.

This dive had a lot more decoration than Ponderosa, and I was not entirely successful in avoiding hitting anything. I felt really bad when I discovered a small piece of rock caught between my backplate and wing. Clearly, to be good at this, you really need to know the limits of your "underwater body". I know I'll be swimming under anything and everything I can find at home for the next year!

All too soon, we were finished, and packed up to head back to Zero Gravity to meet our taxi driver. Back across the channel to Cozumel, where we were really surprisingly quiet about the day. I don't know about Kevin, but words more or less failed me.

The following morning, we set out again, with a recovered Peter in tow. Back to ZG, where we loaded the van and set off for Dos Ojos. This was where I truly lost my heart.

Dos Ojos is what you see in the videos: Bleached white limestone, with tons of speleothems both large and small, rising out of a carpet of what appears to be virgin snow. You are doing a transit between two lenticular cenotes, so you are at times in true passageway. One area is a beautiful oval, lined with the rugose stone characteristic of salt water erosion. There are two different "cavern" loops, and we did both of them. They were different, but equally beautiful. The extent of the decoration requires more precise diving and more finesse, and I was pleased not to hit anything with my tank, although I still brushed things with my fins.

On one of these dives, I was the third in line, and the person in back definitely gets the best experience of being there, as he can see the people in front of him, and the lights beaming forward until they disperse into a fine turquoise glow. I watched Danny, who is amazing in the water. He is utterly still unless he wants to be otherwise. I felt like a wobbly kid on her first two-wheeler in comparison (although Bob's video from the last day looks better than that. Who but an aspiring cave diver would be proud of thirty seconds of video showing her not moving?)

Again, all too soon, we were done, and headed back to the shop. I thought my cenote diving was over at that point, but by Friday, we had all gotten a bit bored with reef diving, and we decided to make another trip to the mainland with the guide, Mateo, who had been with us all week. I was a little worried about this, because I had heard from friends that not all the guides follow safety protocols (not running line, no primary lights, etc.) but I needn't have worried. Mateo is full cave and has done some exploration and survey in the caves on Cozumel, and he was a thorough and careful guide.

This day, I had requested we do two new cenotes, so we headed for Carwash to begin with. Carwash (named because they used to wash the taxis there) is a different kind of cavern. The open water has a lot of plant life in it, and the stone of the cavern is stained with tannin and is therefore much darker than Dos Ojos. The cavern dive doesn't go from one cenote to another, so it's basically a crescent path under the overhang, and you can always look to the side and see the pond. There is no permanent guideline in this cavern, so Mateo ran line through the cavern. We then swam a circuit of the open water, which is full of small freshwater fish and things that look kind of like lilies, with long thin stems leading to round, horizontal leaves, all of this underwater.

When we came back to the line, we retraced our steps, and found that, while we had been sightseeing, a Cave 2 class had tied off and headed into the darkness. I looked at their line and envied them, as our dive was over. We surfaced as a group, and then Mateo was going to go back and clean the line up. I asked if I could go with him and help, and he permitted it, so I swam in front and took the ties off. That was great fun, and he said it was helpful as well.

A little fruit and water, and we were off to Grand Cenote. Although GC is only five minutes at the outside from Carwash, it's a different system, and once again, we had the beautiful white limestone and the extensive decorations. This cavern dive is also a meander under the overhang, but it's quite a bit larger, and you definitely have the feeling of being a long way from the surface. We again wound in and out of large stalactites, stalagmites and columns, with periodic dramatic views out to the sunlight.

1559.jpg

1501.jpg

1515.jpg

The Cave 2 class had followed us there, and as we were coming back, we encountered their line, and saw their lights, emerald pinpoints disappearing into the darkness, and I so wanted to go with them.

On this dive, I had a feeling I recognized from years ago, when I did a lot of higher mathematics. I felt as though I'd been transported out of myself, literally exalted and utterly joyful, aware of my skin all the way to my fingertips and totally in the moment. It was the most exquisite and intense pleasure I've had diving, and it was composed in part of the utter clarity of the water, the incredible beauty of the surroundings, and the complete peace of the place. Reef diving is visually and kinesthetically busy -- Life and water in constant motion, demanding your attention in every direction. The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed. I had some of the same reaction to floating between the walls of two billion year old rock, deep in the Grand Canyon, but this was ever so much stronger. This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

1531.jpg

Great report Lynne!

I've always wanted to eventually do a Mexico cenote trip but after reading this report I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Did you make it to the second cenote (Cenote Corral)?

Yes. The path we took went to the second cenote, and then past it the allowed distance.

I still love your pictures, boydski. Ours came out better than we'd hoped, but yours are really beautiful -- and were a big influence in getting me fascinated with the cenotes!

This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

I couldn't have said it better. I'm going to have to add this one to my sig line!

Great report, Lynne! We haven't been to the Mexico caves yet, but I'm thinking we're going to have to head down there real soon!

Wonderful:D

I can see why a video of this would inspire you to enter cave training. I had always thought"Why would I want to cave certify?" I now retract that thought. Man that is beautiful. I could never cave certify though. Deal with my wife. No cave diving and no wreck penetration. Oh well. I can enjoy everyones pictures though.

Fantastic report, Lynne. I was fortunate enough to dive the cenotes about three years ago. What a spiritual experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom