Trimix vs Helitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realize this is probably a little bit off topic w.r.t. the Trimix vs Helitrox discussion, and perhaps the mod can move that whole subthread elsewhere, but purely out of curiosity, I'm interested in the basis of the earlier claim that Trimix is not needed until 430ft. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it was probably prompted by some interesting experiences that might be worth learning about.

The link I put up in post 20 will get you to the page in the Navy manual that has a brief explanation. More detailed information can be in the mix gas diving section of the manual. You can get FAR better info there then you ever will from the people here talking about crack and about me shutting up. But all they are doing is whining and bringing nothing else to the discussion.

Since members here are not bringing anything to the discussion, why dont you summerise the information for us? I cant find what you are referring in the manual.

So before you go spouting off about how smart you are, or posting a link to the Navy Dive Manual(which I am very familiar with), maybe you should sanity check yourself.

The info on that page speaks for itself. If you are as familiar with it as you say then what are you whining about? It seems simple enough to me. Maybe you should read it again?

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 01:45 PM ----------

Since members here are not bringing anything to the discussion, why dont you summerise the information for us? I cant find what you are referring in the manual.

The link I put up in post 20 covers it in the section about HPNS. I do not know what I could add to that.

last i checked commercial and military techniques are not what technical divers do.

As usual, your posts do nothing but try and show the world how SMRT you think you are, but end up looking ridiculous to anyone who actually does technical diving.

Rich is assuming that HPNS is the limiting factor above all else...which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is that Military divers working at those depths are doing Saturation dives(or at least it is the preferred method)....they are also either CCR or surface supplied...so there is no need to worry about things like having enough gas to complete the dive. Additionally, they have a freaking chamber onboard...which makes things a whole lot more warm and fuzzy when you are considering doing Sat dives in the 300+ foot range.

last i checked commercial and military techniques are not what technical divers do.

As usual, your posts do nothing but try and show the world how SMRT you think you are, but end up looking ridiculous to anyone who actually does technical diving.

I know what the professionals are using it for and why. What the amateurs are doing is just a way to save money using a mix that is NOT NEEDED for any other reason then that and because it sounds cool. Other then name calling what do you have to say to convince me otherwise?

As a bystander, I have the impression that much of the drama in this thread is due to the different ways people on different sides of the argument interpret the word "NEEDED", as in: "absolutely required" vs. "generally desirable and dictated by practical considerations". Is that the case?

Rich is assuming that HPNS is the limiting factor above all else...which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is that Military divers working at those depths are doing Saturation dives(or at least it is the preferred method)....they are also either CCR or surface supplied...so there is no need to worry about things like having enough gas to complete the dive. Additionally, they have a freaking chamber onboard...which makes things a whole lot more warm and fuzzy when you are considering doing Sat dives in the 300+ foot range.

I just said that is why it was invented. Using it on scuba gains you nothing.

I know what the professionals are using it for and why. What the amateurs are doing is just a way to save money using a mix that is NOT NEEDED for any other reason then that and because it sounds cool. Other then name calling what do you have to say to convince me otherwise?

Results.

I don't give 2 craps about what some guys are doing when their conditions are so far and away outside of what my conditions are.

And it DOES gain you something. You get out of the water faster, which is a huge concern with technical diving.

I know you're king commercial diver, but do you even do any technical diving? If so, tell me about it.

Every person in " the big deco petri dish " is different. We have adopted standards and mixes appropriate for various depths as guidelines based on what has worked well for " most " people in the past. In the end you need to get your body and brain wrapped around the dives you are doing and plan on doing, and make the choices that work for YOU.
YMMV
Eric

As a bystander, I have the impression that much of the drama in this thread is due to the different ways people on different sides of the argument interpret the word "NEEDED", as in: "absolutely required" vs. "generally desirable and dictated by practical considerations". Is that the case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom