Trimix vs Helitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what the professionals are using it for and why. What the amateurs are doing is just a way to save money using a mix that is NOT NEEDED for any other reason then that and because it sounds cool. Other then name calling what do you have to say to convince me otherwise?

professionals have heliox because they're rich enough to afford it. We're not. Hence we use trimix, giving SOME narcosis, but a ~30m equivalent. So it does the job we want, reducing narcosis, while still being "affordable". Try filling a twinset and subsequent deco tanks on heliox for your personal diving while paying the full price, see how long you'll do that...

Nobody cares about a fancy name, it is used with a goal, and it achieves that goal. So yes it is needed.

Lets try to keep it cool guys, please.

Rich, I'm not a technical diver, and do not know but what I have read, no certifications, no experience, but for the very small knowledge I have, Trimix is trying to Keep you in the safe area, of not exceeding a recommended PPO to avoid convulsion as well as to reduce the time of Deco, "added EDN added"and make your breathing easier as the helium is lighter, it seems you are trying to compare a diver with a mask and a regulator in his mount to a diver that uses a helmet and endless gas supply.

If you get a convulsion no big problem you still breathing, a diver with a regulator more likely will lose his regulator from his mount, there for die.

PPO of 1.6 is in grey area, some people will have convulsions exceeding this point some not, but since we don't know who gets what down there, the safe thing is to not pushed and assume you will get a convulsion, the guy that set one record on deep air dive was exposed to 3.+ PPO for a short period of time but a longer period over 1.6, I don't think it is wise to push a limit on your self wearing a mask and a regulator, you are in a helmet, I think that is a complete different world that you can't compare IMHO, again I just know almost nothing, I'm learning and hope to get to a Trimix point, lots of schools hours and diving ahead o me.

If I'm wrong, anyone please correct me, I'm learning and more question marks I have, more I read and can ask better questions to a Tec instructor.

Last edited:
Remy: think about normoxic trimix, or maybe helitrox (as this thread suggests). That should give you an idea of the use of helium :wink:

Remy: think about normoxic trimix, or maybe helitrox (as this thread suggests). That should give you an idea of the use of helium :wink:

Forgot to add less Nitrogen narcosis or equivalent depth narcosis to the advantages of Trimix, Fixed on the post thanks for the reminder

Heliox, well, like you said, you will need deep pockets, or do it once in a while if you have a determined target diving a specific site I guess.

professionals have heliox because they're rich enough to afford it. We're not. Hence we use trimix, giving SOME narcosis, but a ~30m equivalent. So it does the job we want, reducing narcosis, while still being "affordable". Try filling a twinset and subsequent deco tanks on heliox for your personal diving while paying the full price, see how long you'll do that...

That is what I said from the start, it is just a cost saving measure.

That is what I said from the start, it is just a cost saving measure.

You can choose to ignore the fact that tech divers aren't in the habit of doing saturation dives...your call. I already pointed out to you(as did AJ) that the deco requirements on Heliox are far longer than on trimix....I'll keep diving trimix and getting out of the water safely a couple hours earlier. Maybe it is a cost saving method after all...time is money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom