Trim in midwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone beat me to the actual standards, but 30 degrees trim and 5' buoyancy from target depth is the tri-ox standard.
There are numerous reasons why one would want to keep trim in open water diving. Many have been listed here, and many are not mentioned.
The primary tools for fighting against rapid ascent are sacrificed when we sacrifice trim. By design, the opv dumps gas faster than the inflator adds it, and it dumps gas faster than the corrugated hose. Our propulsion tools are primary when sudden and necessary changes are needed, but when they are below us, they are not nearly as effective, and in fact can add to worsen the situation.
Also re this discussion ;( a student during class) trim is one of the things needed to be demonstrated to the instructor to meet the standard required for certification of this course. Trim is a tool, and should be used as such. A diver can and should be able to make any decision they feel necessary for them to maintain control in the water. It is unreasonable to think that divers will never break trim, or be out of trim, especially in prolonged exposures. HOWEVER, to meet the standards; divers enrolled in a course that has clearly establish parameters have accepted that they need to demonstrate the ability to put themselves in appropriate trim and maintain it as long as is necessary.
This means approximately 5-7 minutes for the ascent in this class. (open water portion) and Whatever amount of time spent on descent and bottom. During this time it does not mean that students need to maintain 0 degrees of trim, but should be aware, communicate and correct trim issues within the allowed standards. (trim issues are mostly due to task loading and lack of communication amongst the team)
Outside of class. we can always make a conscious decision to sacrifice trim for whatever reason we feel necessary as long as we understand the consequences of it and are willing to accept them.
I agree that in many cases where people struggle in this area, they often need to take a break from the hard training and just go diving. Rejuvenate the passion for our underwater world, and then go back to training again. Many decide that they have improved overall and the degree of finesse that they have is enough for them, or that they want more of it. I believe we need training AND experience dives to reach our full potential. Best, Bob

Addressing the below comment:
In T1 AG told me he didn't give a damn about our midwater trim as long as we held our stops under all the duress.

I’m sure that this has been taken out of context. And I’m willing to guess that what was meant was that it is more important to maintain team and stops than to have perfect trim. I agree. Best, Bob

Thanks, Bob. And it's good to be reminded that the requirement in class may be, in fact, a little artificial, as a way of assessing the diver's control. I'm fine with that.

You’re welcome. I often like to remind my students that evaluation dives are only a snapshot if you will of the person being evaluated. I have had great divers not perform well on a given day or dive and had mediocre ones perform well on them. It is not a reflection of them overall as divers, rather how they performed at a given time. Some that have demonstrated to the standard today, might be better or worse in a week or a month. It goes both ways, and should not be used as a measuring device for the overall value of the diver in question. This happens over time and by a much larger peer group<VBG> Take care, and keep moving forward. Enjoy it all. Looking forward to diving with you myself one day when I'm there. best, Bob

Thank you Bob for your comments. Glad to see you here.

And thank you Bjorn for finding that post. I'm always happy to see that there IS something to back up a statement.

Addressing the below comment:
In T1 AG told me he didn't give a damn about our midwater trim as long as we held our stops under all the duress.

I’m sure that this has been taken out of context. And I’m willing to guess that what was meant was that it is more important to maintain team and stops than to have perfect trim. I agree. Best, Bob

While it was 3 years ago, I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote. That's not too hard to imagine :wink: But yes the context is a midwater ascent on day3 or 4 of T1. Midwater trim is a lower student priority than team, bouyancy, stops or problem management.

Nice job fleshing out the context Bob.

If your default position is 30deg head up, guess what you will probably revert to under a stressful situation.

30 degrees.

Add in a cave (you're intro now, right?), and now you've got whatever this stressful issue was...plus lack of visability.

GUE training is designed to mesh together, and each step is built off of the previous step. Stable platform and solid bouyancy are absolutely required as you progress up the training ladder.

Midwater 0deg trim is there to show your instructor (and yourself) that 0deg is your default position. If you can't maintain that all the time (unless you want to come out of trim for whatever reason), then you still have work to do.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom