Trim in midwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nor will I.

And with that, have a good weekend my friend.

Hope you guys do ... I know the "western contingent" will ...

Snowbear's in town ... her and Uncle Pug are out diving right now. Tomorrow her and Richard and Uncle Pug are out diving somewhere (I'm teaching). Sunday we're in the San Juan Islands, Monday we're off somewhere on Richard's boat.

Meanwhile, Lynne and Peter are off to Hawaii ...

I'm sure we'll all be working hard on our trim ... :lotsalove:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm sure we'll all be working hard on our trim ... :lotsalove:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, I'm going to the pool and working on my shoulders/valve drills...nuts to trim :wink: Ice diving is just around the corner.

RI -
Except that, isn't the requirement for a "tech" pass in fundies keeping your out-o-trim below 30%?

From the GUE website -- Fundies Tech Standard #19:
Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e. approximate reference maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 feet...of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation as well as general diver control remain important evaluation criteria.

Rec-Trio substitutes 30 degrees and 5 feet.

As to what "demonstrate" means, that's obviously up to each instructor to determine what "is" means.

- - - - - - - -

BTW, can/will anyone discuss the point raised by RTodd regarding being horizontal is better for deco when the lungs are horizontal? For those of you with an understanding of respiratory physiology (RJack -- ask Mel?) -- is that true? Or are lungs more efficient when vertical?

I have never argued for a protractor to be part of a C-card. And I'm not starting now. :10:

I have no idea if its even possible to study horizontal vs. vertical deco. I would guess any differences are more due to the distribution of blood vs. anything to do with the lungs. A mere guess on my part. Melody deals with sick patients not deco divers. Dr. Deco here and Gene Hobbs would be the resources to ask.

Note that they didn't actually measure these differences in lung expansion, surfactant pooling, or theoretical off-gassing efficiency. Bascially it sounds nice but from a practical perspective I bet the dive to dive variation in off-gassing is many times greater than the 0deg ascent vs. temporarily 30deg ascent from a minimum deco dive.

rjack321: It seemed that there was disagreement in that thread, I just remembered that I had read it someplace and decided to find it for Peter :)

Bjorn

In T1 AG told me he didn't give a damn about our midwater trim as long as we held our stops under all the duress. I think the heretic has it right.

Ha! I really enjoy AG's insights and wit.

I come out of trim a bit on ascent to vent my suit, not large amounts, and only momentarily. My GUE/F instructor said that was fine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom