Triangle Wrecks - June 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages:
I can't wait to do this trip. Are we coming up with a food list for a Saturday night thing? If so what can I bring. Paula

I guess we could cook out Sat night. I won't be getting in until 8pm on Friday. We would probably want to buy whatever we're cooking after the dives. Don't ya think? As far as everything else, cups, plates, snacks, drinks, etc....we can bring that stuff on down with us. Whatever you want to bring is fine, just post it so the rest of us will know and won't bring the same. BTW, are you driving down with Jeff and Marci, and are you guys staying Saturday night as well? I plan on camping Friday and Saturday night.

I've heard of this Gary in the Hampton Roads area. Understand he is a good guy and very knowlegable on the NC wrecks.

I'm new to the sport (and this board) but considering showing up on Saturday 25 June.

Hope to see you there.

Lar

Looks like high tide will be at around 10:45ish Saturday morning with low tide hitting at about 4:50 or so that afternoon. I would think slack tide would be the best time to dive it (I think slack tide usually last around 30 minutes). If done at high slack tide, that would mean having to go against the tide on the swim back in. Any thoughts?

Jason

Jason B:
Looks like high tide will be at around 10:45ish Saturday morning with low tide hitting at about 4:50 or so that afternoon. I would think slack tide would be the best time to dive it (I think slack tide usually last around 30 minutes). If done at high slack tide, that would mean having to go against the tide on the swim back in. Any thoughts?

Jason

I don't know much about tides, and have never dove in the ocean, but wouldn't there be better visibility during high tide? It sounds like during one point of the tidal changes there will surge going back off the beach as we come back? Maybe that Gary fella that is leading us has some info or past experience in those spots?

<sigh> I have alot to learn.

Kriterian:
I don't know much about tides, and have never dove in the ocean, but wouldn't there be better visibility during high tide? It sounds like during one point of the tidal changes there will surge going back off the beach as we come back? Maybe that Gary fella that is leading us has some info or past experience in those spots?

<sigh> I have alot to learn.
In general slack water (which is the 2h period right in the middle of high and low water) will offer better visibility because there is less water exchange going on. Of course local knowledge helps because sometimes when it is approaching high water clean water gets brought in, other times it could be the reverse. But...we did that dive yesterday and had 1 foot of visiblity with about 4 feet of very blurry viz. It was still a good dive (70F) and some interesting life when you could see it! Interestingly I found 5 golf balls, a garden rake and a frisbee!

DrSteve:
In general slack water (which is the 2h period right in the middle of high and low water) will offer better visibility because there is less water exchange going on. Of course local knowledge helps because sometimes when it is approaching high water clean water gets brought in, other times it could be the reverse. But...we did that dive yesterday and had 1 foot of visiblity with about 4 feet of very blurry viz. It was still a good dive (70F) and some interesting life when you could see it! Interestingly I found 5 golf balls, a garden rake and a frisbee!

The golf balls and the frisbee I can understand, but the rake leads me to believe that a greenskeeper may have drowned there! (They're known to carry frisbees to keep the rain off their head, and to distract dogs)

I don't care about the vis because all my diving has been in the quarry, I'm glad to know that you can find things though. I'm hoping to find my wallet full of 800 bucks that I lost when I graduated from high school long ago. We had the bright idea of running into the surf with our caps and gowns on and stupid me forgot to empty my pockets first.

PS: DrSteve, Gary said you had some pics from June 18th, let us know if you post em!

Kriterian:
The golf balls and the frisbee I can understand, but the rake leads me to believe that a greenskeeper may have drowned there! (They're known to carry frisbees to keep the rain off their head, and to distract dogs)

I don't care about the vis because all my diving has been in the quarry, I'm glad to know that you can find things though. I'm hoping to find my wallet full of 800 bucks that I lost when I graduated from high school long ago. We had the bright idea of running into the surf with our caps and gowns on and stupid me forgot to empty my pockets first.

PS: DrSteve, Gary said you had some pics from June 18th, let us know if you post em!
It's still a nice dive even in low vis...you just have to look at the minutiae instead of the overall picture. I'll try and post the pics before this weekend (if they are any good, that level of silt needs magic, not just an extra long strobe arm!)

3 More Days Of Work!!!!!! Ocean Here I Come!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

suthnbelle:
We're going to talk Jason into camping, right Jason? You know you can't just go on home after the dives.

I think a pair of rock boots would be a good ransom! I'd do it for return of my mask.

i don't think that will work. your mask is still at the bottom of rawlings, right? and although jason loves his rock boots, i don't think he loves them enough to go back and mask-hunt again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom