Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It actually occurred to me just this past weekend in a conversation that some people may enjoy the progression more than the diving itself. I had a Tech classmate who went from OW to PADI Instructor in 6 months. Never actually taught a dive class. Then, he was immediately hot and heavy to become a technical diver. Turns out the guy never actually seemed comfortable in the water to me even on shallow fun dives. He had a little bit of money and definitely wasn't afraid to spend it on gear and classes to get the cards. In the end, I was thinking if card collecting floats your boat, who are we to judge? I think you may miss the point if you don't get to go out and enjoy dives, but at least he's not trying to do the dives self learning off the Internet. For some, the skills progression also might be what they enjoy rather than the diving itself. Anyway, just potentially another perspective... I wish the OP luck in his dive endeavors whatever they may be.

I totally agree that taking classes is a crucial part of why *some* people like diving. That said, I'd disagree with anyone claiming that training without also gaining experience is a safe way to dive deeper/longer. If over half your dives are in classes, you're missing a major part of the safety equation...

It actually occurred to me just this past weekend in a conversation that some people may enjoy the progression more than the diving itself. I had a Tech classmate who went from OW to PADI Instructor in 6 months. Never actually taught a dive class. Then, he was immediately hot and heavy to become a technical diver. Turns out the guy never actually seemed comfortable in the water to me even on shallow fun dives. He had a little bit of money and definitely wasn't afraid to spend it on gear and classes to get the cards. In the end, I was thinking if card collecting floats your boat, who are we to judge? I think you may miss the point if you don't get to go out and enjoy dives, but at least he's not trying to do the dives self learning off the Internet. For some, the skills progression also might be what they enjoy rather than the diving itself. Anyway, just potentially another perspective... I wish the OP luck in his dive endeavors whatever they may be.

Googled it the Terry DeWolf that died was diving the Andria Doria with 20 years experience.

If I got it wrong, I apologise. But my recollection was the DeWolf was the diver who had died on the Doria after misleading his instructors over experience to do a trimix cert. As I said, if I was mistaken, I apologise.

It actually occurred to me just this past weekend in a conversation that some people may enjoy the progression more than the diving itself. ... In the end, I was thinking if card collecting floats your boat, who are we to judge?

I freely admit to enjoying card collecting (I used to use the title "Badge Collector" on SB). I never saw a course (scuba or otherwise) that I didn't feel like I wanted to do. But I do enjoy my diving as well :wink:

I think that was Chris Murley who died on the doria with little experience diving at all. I may be wrong.

That's as may be ... but 150 feet on 21/35 ain't the place to start getting comfortable with what you're doing.

It's all fun and games till you do something simple and silly ... and end up having to overcome that powerful urge to bolt to the surface because you're suddenly faced with a situation you don't know how to get yourself out of ... too much too soon is an easy way to kill yourself.

To the OP ... contact a local tech instructor. Tell him what you told us about how comfortable you are in an overhead environment with your level of experience. See if he gives you a better answer than the ones you've been getting in here.

Seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I totally agree that taking classes is a crucial part of why *some* people like diving. That said, I'd disagree with anyone claiming that training without also gaining experience is a safe way to dive deeper/longer. If over half your dives are in classes, you're missing a major part of the safety equation...

I didn't say card collecting and taking classes would make you the best diver, but it's definitely one way to log dives if you aren't comfortable going out on your own with a buddy. LOL. I agree with you though that you're missing a major part of the equation to becoming a good diver if you take classes and don't go out and actually make dives outside of class. There's definitely no substitute for experience.

Last edited:
That's as may be ... but 150 feet on 21/35 ain't the place to start getting comfortable with what you're doing.

I don't believe that he's planning on going down to 150 ft on his own. From his original post, he's seeking a dive agency with whom to train. Hopefully, the technical dive instructor he uses will be able to help him make that assessment. In my tech class, we never saw water deeper than 80 ft until the instructor was satisfied with our comfort level and skill sets. Heck, we spent days in water shallower than 40 ft.

I'm guessing that Bob was referring to your (now infamous) tech classmate. In any case, his general point (having experience to back up classroom lessons) certainly rings true to me.

Not knocking card collecting (whatever floats one's boat), but certain classes (i.e. types of diving) demand skills and approaches that go beyond what one can just (tend to) learn in a classroom environment. Sometimes it really is best to just go diving at your current level for a bit.

I don't believe that he's planning on going down to 150 ft on his own. From his original post, he's seeking a dive agency with whom to train. Hopefully, the technical dive instructor he uses will be able to help him make that assessment. In my tech class, we never saw water deeper than 80 ft until the instructor was satisfied with our comfort level and skill sets. Heck, we spent days in water shallower than 40 ft.

I'm guessing that Bob was referring to your (now infamous) tech classmate. In any case, his general point (having experience to back up classroom lessons) certainly rings true to me.

Not knocking card collecting (whatever floats one's boat), but certain classes (i.e. types of diving) demand skills and approaches that go beyond what one can just (tend to) learn in a classroom environment. Sometimes it really is best to just go diving at your current level for a bit.

Yeah, now that I reread his post, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom