Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

people aren't telling you what you want to hear. doesn't mean the posts aren't useful. slow down and take PfcAJ's advice

Last edited by a moderator:
No point in turning this into a shouting match, but taking trimix too early makes one name ring resoundingly in my head: Terry DeWolf (he had what, 75 dives?). Google the name and assess the risks.

I have 1,300 dives and I still don't feel any need to rush off an get a trimix cert. It's a big ocean. There's lots to see.

the last trimix dive I did was approaching the 200 dollar mark just for breathing gas.

god I get a little sick just saying that....
so it does get a little expensive

Mine was about $130 in gases, but it only lasted a little over an hour.

what do you guys pay for helium out there? just curious

My shop is a little weird. It's not a flat per volume rate. It's like, 70 bucks for >200CF, 80 bucks for 200-230CF, 90 for >230, and that's for anything up to 80% helium.

So since I dive standard gases in the sub-200 foot range, it works out to something on the order of a seventy cents to one dollar a cube (e.g. 70 bucks for the 70CF of helium in a 21/35 fill in 100s or 80 for the 100CF of helium in an 18/45 fill in 130s). But I suppose I could go in and ask for heliox and pay the same.

As was suggested, the problem is that you don't have enough experience yet to understand why people reacted as they did to your announcement about your history. You expected one kind of reaction and got another. If you stop and think about it, that reaction by itself should give you reason to stop and think.

There is an interesting thread in the Accidents and Incidents forum, and in it the representative from Duke Dive Medicine posted some questions about how to create safe divers. the last two questions might interest you and explain the responses you got:

Second, you can teach gas management and buoyancy control, but how do you get your students to internalize the material and adopt an attitude of safety? Finally, how do you recognize a student who's out to prove something, and once you recognize him, change his fundamental perceptions of himself and what he's looking to accomplish?

No point in turning this into a shouting match, but taking trimix too early makes one name ring resoundingly in my head: Terry DeWolf (he had what, 75 dives?). Google the name and assess the risks.

I have 1,300 dives and I still don't feel any need to rush off an get a trimix cert. It's a big ocean. There's lots to see.

Googled it the Terry DeWolf that died was diving the Andria Doria with 20 years experience.

My shop is a little weird. It's not a flat per volume rate. It's like, 70 bucks for >200CF, 80 bucks for 200-230CF, 90 for >230, and that's for anything up to 80% helium.

So since I dive standard gases in the sub-200 foot range, it works out to something on the order of a seventy cents to one dollar a cube (e.g. 70 bucks for the 70CF of helium in a 21/35 fill in 100s or 80 for the 100CF of helium in an 18/45 fill in 130s). But I suppose I could go in and ask for heliox and pay the same.

got ya

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom