Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm seriously?

Pay your dues? Do you dive to thump your chest and get respect, or do you dive for fun? You definitely need to give a better reason then "they wont respect you if you dont have a thousand dives and have seen everything under the sun" mentality.

No, he doesnt actually. When somebody fasttracks, a lot of them wind up being a statistic one way or another. None of us doing Tek syle dives are exempt from things happening but those of us who take our time to learn usually dont wind up in reports. When someone does rush, gets bent or gets killed its a black eye to us all. To rush getting somewhere really tells us you have no respect for the envronment and you probably wont know when its time to call a dive. I for one would not trust a zero to hero mentality.

Pay your dues? Do you dive to thump your chest and get respect, or do you dive for fun? You definitely need to give a better reason than the "they wont respect you if you dont have a thousand dives and have seen everything under the sun" mentality.
Actually a lot of great mentoring can be had from divers that respect you. Not to mention access to sites that you wouldn't otherwise access.

Actually a lot of great mentoring can be had from divers that respect you. Not to mention access to sites that you wouldn't otherwise access.

I dont dispute that, but I dont think it should necessarily be a consideration for getting a trimix cert. From the post the OP started with, it seems there are many other things over respect that he should consider and think about before proceeding with trimix certification.

Dude, go diving outside of the classes. Collecting cards is great, but collecting memories is much more fulfilling, IMO.

Peace,
Greg

No, he doesnt actually. When somebody fasttracks, a lot of them wind up being a statistic one way or another. None of us doing Tek syle dives are exempt from things happening but those of us who take our time to learn usually dont wind up in reports. When someone does rush, gets bent or gets killed its a black eye to us all. To rush getting somewhere really tells us you have no respect for the envronment and you probably wont know when its time to call a dive. I for one would not trust a zero to hero mentality.

Whether he is ready or not is hard for anyone here to judge; sadly it is left in the hands of someone who may or may not be qualified to teach/dive in a "technical" manner. He may be amazing at 75 dives or he may be a mess at 800 dives. Hard to tell online. So instead of being all "holier than thou" because of vastly superior experience we should probably just be friendly, advise him his options, and then let the instructors who are actually responsible for his safety determine if he is ready.

Perhaps suggesting that at his experience level recreational trimix by IANTD might be the mostly plausible option would have been enough.

As for why: just reading the GUE tech manual or taking a GUE class would be enough for anyone to salivate for the holy grail of trimix. Its really effing annoying to be told how amazing something is only to be told, "you cant have this till you grow up into an adult tech diver." That seems to be the mentality, but the truth is that it doesn't have to be for the greatest divers on earth, which is evidenced by the recreational trimix curriculums for even the agencies with the highest standards (GUE and UTD).

a lot of terrible mentoring too

Whether he is ready or not is hard for anyone here to judge; sadly it is left in the hands of someone who may or may not be qualified to teach/dive in a "technical" manner. He may be amazing at 75 dives or he may be a mess at 800 dives. Hard to tell online. So instead of being all "holier than thou" because of vastly superior experience we should probably just be friendly, advise him his options, and then let the instructors who are actually responsible for his safety determine if he is ready.

Perhaps suggesting that at his experience level recreational trimix by IANTD might be the mostly plausible option would have been enough.

As for why: just reading the GUE tech manual or taking a GUE class would be enough for anyone to salivate for the holy grail of trimix. Its really effing annoying to be told how amazing something is only to be told, "you cant have this till you grow up into an adult tech diver." That seems to be the mentality, but the truth is that it doesn't have to be for the greatest divers on earth, which is evidenced by the recreational trimix curriculums for even the agencies with the highest standards (GUE and UTD).

I will say this. I agree with a lot of your post, but not all. I stand by what Rainer said and my post. There is no diver I have met that was ready for the responsibility of the hazards one can get themsefl into diving trimix. Have there been some that dd it? Probably, but luck does run out. there is WAY too much to See without rushing. Its not going anywhere and I would rather meet someone alive than read about them dead.

Not sure how Trimix alone can get you into all these hazards you mention care to elaborate? In fact I think that recreational Trimix is a great idea.

Not sure how Trimix alone can get you into all these hazards you mention care to elaborate?

Sure, going deep and not being ready for the consequences will get you killed pretty quick. There is a big difference between an emergency at 100ft versus 200ft and deeper. There is a concept called the virtual overhead, whck you learn in AN/DP meaning you might have a clear shot to the surface, but that clear shot may be a fatal journey.

Not sure how Trimix alone can get you into all these hazards you mention care to elaborate? In fact I think that recreational Trimix is a great idea.

From what I understand: Helium has low solubility, so as it diffuses faster into tissue it also diffuses out faster. So as you ascend you need to be VERY cautious about ascent rate and the M-line of the gas you are breathing. Helium requires more control over buoyancy and some more theoretical work. Further, DCS hits with helium are more often CNS hits which can be permanently damaging or fatal. You CAN NOT pop to the surface with He.

That being said, divers with control, a proper respect for the gas, and adequate theoretical knowledge and planning training should be able to use it just fine IMO. Some very experienced divers on the boards here have even suggested that a tech pass in GUE fundamentals should qualify you to use He. GUE thinks a rec pass and an additional class is enough. Some here clearly disagree, which is fine too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom