Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just taking a wild guess, I suppose you might think that learning to use trimix is a lot like learning to use nitrox. After all, it's just another different mix of gas, isn't it?

The difference is that trimix is used at greater depths. It requires multiple tanks and decompression stops. When doing a straight nitrox NDL dive, if you have an equipment failure, you can just go to the surface fairly easily. When diving trimix, you can't. Therefore, there is a lot of new learning going on with trimx. A whole lot. It takes a long time, a serious commitment to equipment, and skills you probably never dreamed you would need.

I suggest that you pick an agency that will take you through to the end you want so that you don't have to do a crossover after you begin training. Then begin at the appropriate level for you--which will be the beginning. That means just learning better dive skills, especially buoyancy and propulsion techniques. You may think you already have those dialed in, but you might be surprised. I had nearly 500 recreational dives when I started technical training, and I instantly felt like a beginner all over again. When you start getting the control of buoyancy and trim required for this kind of diving, which will take longer than you think, you will be ready to begin.

What is the rush? Take the time, work on your skills.. NOBODY at 50 dives is going to be anywhere close to where they need to be for this type of training. Please, do yourself a favor and do one or more of the following... 1. Find yourself a good mentor, someone who has been around for a long time, and has done a lot of tech dives... 2. Take an intro to tech course, or a cavern course. These courses both introduce new skill sets that you will need to work on.

Most agencies are going to require at least an advanced nitrox/deco procedures course as a prerequisite. You will get more out of the training if you first build up your skills, so you aren't struggling with the basics when get to the course.

Is there a particular reason that you want a Trimix cert?

A little hint... experienced divers do not respect a zero to hero mentality. You need to pay your dues.

Unless you just want to do a recreational type Trimix course you would need to do Advanced Nitrox/ Deco first.

TDI trimix course requirements

# Minimum age of 18
# Minimum certification as a TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver and Decompression Procedures Diver (or equivalent)
# Minimum of 100 logged dives

Think he's got his work cut out ;-)

Unless you just want to do a recreational type Trimix course you would need to do Advanced Nitrox/ Deco first.

you can take GUE tech 1 without that class

you can take GUE tech 1 without that class

And other agencies as well.

Lynne mentioned earlier that different agencies have different approaches as to when helium is introduced in its training. The advanced nitrox/deco procedures requirement is TDI. TDI is one that requires a lot of training before introducing helium mixes. Others, including both UTD and GUE, start it earlier in the training process.

Is there a particular reason that you want a Trimix cert?

Umm seriously?

A little hint... experienced divers do not respect a zero to hero mentality. You need to pay your dues.

Pay your dues? Do you dive to thump your chest and get respect, or do you dive for fun? You definitely need to give a better reason than the "they wont respect you if you dont have a thousand dives and have seen everything under the sun" mentality.

I bet he'll be a superstar in a t1 class with 75 dives :rofl3:

Im pretty sure he would need to take fundamentals AND have 100 dives for that. It would probably be cheaper to just get recreational trimix through IANTD.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom