Trip Report Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't mind the bag drag from CUN. But I've only done it twice and have had no issues yet. Hopefully the good luck will continue in February

Reactions: yle
OH! I should note that I'm not sure the dog(s) in the customs area just looking for drugs. I actually think they are looking for produce. On my trip this June, I put a banana in my backpack while I was in the skyclub in ATL. I ate the banana on the plane and gave the peel to the flight attendant.

While I was in line to get my checked bags, I was asked to let the dog sniff my backpack. The dog indicated that it need to be checked further. When I went to the customs inspection, I handed over the backpack without explanation. They started to go through it and asked if I had any produce. I explained the banana, and they handed it back to me with out any question about the contents (like my drone).

Great report! Just a couple of (I think) important comments:

Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) is treated legally almost like a narcotic. If caught, you could be looking at jail time for even one pill. Talk to your doctor - there are *much* better solutions out there, that also minimize the risk of wearing off and having a reverse block. My doctor has me on Azelastine nasal spray (Rx) that works very well for me, but check with your own doctor.

Asking for 32% EAN and being given 36% and told, "it's OK" is scary. Hopefully your computer will help you keep your pO2 within limits, but without pulling out my tables, I recall 32% having a max recommended depth of ~110 feet, and 36% being ~20-30 feet less, which starts getting problematic if you're exceeding 90 feet to stay out of the current or take pictures. Like you, I'm not the best diver and not in the best shape, so I try to be a bit conservative. Becoming unconscious underwater due to oxygen toxicity does not sound like a good time to me, but YMMV.

Great report! Just a couple of (I think) important comments:

Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) is treated legally almost like a narcotic. If caught, you could be looking at jail time for even one pill. Talk to your doctor - there are *much* better solutions out there, that also minimize the risk of wearing off and having a reverse block. My doctor has me on Azelastine nasal spray (Rx) that works very well for me, but check with your own doctor.
There are alternatives but unfortunately nothing quite like pseudoephedrine and pseudoephedrine is the only one I know of that actually has studies documenting a benefit with equalization.

Asking for 32% EAN and being given 36% and told, "it's OK" is scary. Hopefully your computer will help you keep your pO2 within limits, but without pulling out my tables, I recall 32% having a max recommended depth of ~110 feet, and 36% being ~20-30 feet less, which starts getting problematic if you're exceeding 90 feet to stay out of the current or take pictures. Like you, I'm not the best diver and not in the best shape, so I try to be a bit conservative. Becoming unconscious underwater due to oxygen toxicity does not sound like a good time to me, but YMMV.
It’s not at all scary when its a knowledgeable diver or a diver familiar with the planned dive. I assume 3 P’s and Richard knew the planned dive.

I believe the statement was that while he had requested 32% in the AL100 tank size all they had available was 36% in that size of tank. AL100's cleaned and set up for Nitrox are in limited supply. I know that when the tanks are picked up at Meridiano in the AM they are checked and if they are low they get rejected back to be filled again. It sounds like it was discussed with him prior to departure from the dock and he was OK with substituting to 36% and adjusting his dive planning and computer accordingly. If he couldn't use the 36% they normally have extra AL80's filled with 32% available.

@drrich2 said he dived 32% on 24 dives and 36% on only 2 dives. I would imagine the 36s were used on shallower dives, he can tell us.

On my last visit to Cozumel, I dived deeper than 95 feet (MOD 1.4 for 36%), on only 3 dives, Punta Sur Devil's Throat 127 feet, Punta Sur Cathedral 109 feet, and Barracuda 105 feet. The deepest dive exceeded the MOD 1.4 for 32%, but was below the MOD 1.6, 132 feet.

Good report! Glad you enjoyed Cozumel, 3p’s and CM. Can’t beat it in
my opinion!

Great report. All those pictures would help a first-time visitor to know exactly what they are getting.

I didn't make the connection until the photo on the boat and I saw my girlfriend's pink sandals - I was on the boat with you all week in the mornings. I'm Todd. Was with my gf Marci and our friend, the "other" Richard.

Good point on drift diving, not as easy as it's often made out to be. There's an art to positioning yourself to control your speed and movement. I like drift diving but it makes camera work more difficult.

Gopbroek has the right idea; I was told, knew the issues and it was fine by me, wasn't exceeding the MOD. I switched my console dive computer to EAN 36% for those dives. Issue was availability; I'm not familiar with their supply chain.

I didn't make the connection until the photo on the boat and I saw my girlfriend's pink sandals - I was on the boat with you all week in the mornings. I'm Todd. Was with my gf Marci and our friend, the "other" Richard.

Wow! I'd like to've known it was you! Yeah, they tended to keep my (Richard L.) and Richard P. on different boats to avoid confusion.

Richard.

Great trip report! I've been hoping you'd get to Cozumel! 26 tanks on an 8 day trip is great and a heck of a pace. Good on 3Ps for their part in making that happen.

I dive a Suunto Mosquito computer. It's very conservative. My air consumption isn't horrible but I don't dive Nitrox to extend bottom time at depth. The purpose is to keep the computer happy. The Cozumel strategy I've used (it was suggested to me by the dive op) is to dive air on 1st and 3rd tanks of the day and nitrox on 2nd and 4th tanks. As 1st and 3rd tanks are generally deeper and often on walls, diving air means no need to worry about MODs. As 2nd and 4th tanks are shallower and tend to have a hard floor, the MOD for 36% isn't an issue. Long ago, I requested 32% but it was suggested to dive 36% as it costs the same and there's a little NDL benefit over 32%.

This strategy works for me and my computer, and cuts the nitrox upgrade fees in half. Years ago on a Belize trip I dove air only, and due to weather was only able to dive 4 tanks a day once. By day 3, NDLs were severely limited.

Thanks again for the great report!!

Back
Top Bottom