Trip Report Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for taking the time to write up an awesome trip report! Excellent that you saw four eagle rays. I have heard that they are hard to come by during the warmer months.

Great report! We've bee to Coz 5 times and your report was spot on. Thank you for all of the detail.

Great trip report. A couple of observations - I, too, am older (now 64), fat, and out of shape, and I LOVE drift diving. You need to get used to the basics - stay behind the DM, get as horizontal as you can to minimize cross-section to the current, know that the current diminishes (almost to nothing) very close to the bottom, use coral structures to get lee of the current. But once you get acclimated, it is the most relaxing, least exerting kind of diving. Also, the current is often faster at lesser depths, so whatever air you might have saved by helicoptering 15-20 feet above the DM was probably offset by the extra work you had to put in fighting the current to avoid sweeping past the group. My advice -stay at same depth as the DM and you won’t drift any faster than he does. And if you do get past him, head for a coral outcropping to get behind and wait for the group - trying to swim back against the current is just too much work. Also, a question - Tres Pelicanos had AL 100s with Nitrox? That must be new. Last time I dove with Dive with Martin I paid extra for AL 100 tanks, but was told no Nitrox fills on those tanks - if I wanted Nitrox from Meridiano, it was going to be in AL 80 tanks.

That was a great write-up! We've been to Coz many times and love the island, the people, the food, and especially the diving. We'll be headed that way in October and will be diving for the first time with 3P's. We know some of the folks there from their days at The Blue Angel. Thanks for writing that Jorge was away when you were there. Jeanie had told me he was going to the marathon if he qualified. I'm so glad he did! But I'm especially happy that he'll be back by the time we arrive....he's one of our favorite DM's! Your excellent report has me counting the days until we are in Coz :yeahbaby:.

A few things that might help.
Jorge did compete in the world championships in South Africa & did well. According to Pony he's back on the island now & I'm waiting for a message from him in answer to one I've sent him. If you have Facebook here's his live broadcast after finishing

Steve has been away moving a car & household items down from Alaska to the Finger Lakes region of NY State which is where he grew up & has a sister living. His wife passed away last Feb so he's tidying up personal stuff & right now likely in western Canada working his way back to Alaska by road.
Now this one I'm not sure about but I think Steve put in his own filling station at the shop. No idea if that includes being able to do Nitrox fills.

Great trip report & very nice assortment of photos. Just booked my airfare last night for another winter trip that will include several days of diving.

UPDATE re Steve. According to his Facebook page he's back into Alaska & on his way home to Fairbanks.

Thanks for the great trip report @drrich2 . Nice details and photographs. Glad you got your dive fix!

Also, a question - Tres Pelicanos had AL 100s with Nitrox? That must be new. Last time I dove with Dive with Martin I paid extra for AL 100 tanks, but was told no Nitrox fills on those tanks - if I wanted Nitrox from Meridiano, it was going to be in AL 80 tanks.
3P primarily uses their own tanks and has a limited number of AL100's set up for nitrox fills. The filler, Meridiano also has a limited supply of rental Nitrox 100's. During the busy times the demand quickly out strips the supply and of course Meridiano fills all AL tanks to the same pressure.

Also, a question - Tres Pelicanos had AL 100s with Nitrox?

Good points about the current. I mainly helicoptered on low current dives; wasn't nearly as much higher when the current was brisk, but it could've still been a factor. At the Palancar sites the guide was sometimes quite deep; I do deep when I have a specific reason.

Yes, I had EAN 32%; on 2 dives when it wasn't available, I was provided EAN 36%, was told, and dove 100-cf tanks all week.

Looking through my old e-mails, I found:

"Nitrox in either 32 or 36% is $10.00 per tank or 100 cf air for $5.00 per tank – TAXES INCLUDED – please be sure you let us know at least 1 day in advance so we can have this available for you."

and from one of Jeanie's e-mails:

"Sept. 2, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 2, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 3, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 3, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 4, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 4, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 5, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 5, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 6, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 6, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 7, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 7, 2018 Afternoon 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
Sept. 8, 2018 Morning 2 tank boat dive for 1 + 2/100 cf 32% Nitrox
"

Also:

"Description 8 nights Hotel Casa Mexicana and 13 – 2 tank boat dives for 1 diver with a total of 26 tanks 100 cf Nitrox included.

Daily buffet breakfast included – served 7 AM to 11 AM daily

Arriving Sept. 1, 2018
Departing Sept. 9, 2018

DEPOSIT RECEIVED: $392.58
Balance Due: $1,570.00 taxes & Marine Park fees included."

Richard.

P.S.: If it's good to know, of that balance due, half was to be paid when I visited the office before the diving started, and the other half after the diving was done.

Thank you for the detailed informative report. I've been planning a CM downtown trip and this helped a lot!

Great review. I’m diving with 3P, In October but staying at Suites Bahia and the bag drag. As a houstonian, it’s hard not to use my southwest miles from Houston to Cancun. I did it once already. If you are traveling alone it’s not too bad. With a family in tow, it would be a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom