Trip Report Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed Frank; he gave me tips about how things worked, like being ready to deboard when they pulled up to the Money Bar pier to drop us off en route back after the morning dives. I had a fin bag and stuffed my clothes (including wallet) in that, and just kept my shorty on.

Richard.

That's an awesome trip report with fantastic pictures.

I'm not sure if they told you, but the higher you ride along the reef, the faster you go. Steve (the owner of TP) told me that on my first visit. It's a toss up on whether to conserve air (higher), or keep the ability to hide behind things (barrel sponges, overhangs) to stay with the group.

I loved the photos of Palancar Horseshoe. I think that's my favorite spot to dive so far.

Thanks again for the great read.

Brilliant trip report , thanks so very much for sharing !

Awesome trip report! This will be helpful to a lot of people in the future.

You mentioned they really didn’t try to pair you up with a buddy. Did you end up with an instabuddy, or just dive with the group?

Did you end up with an instabuddy, or just dive with the group?

I just dove with the group, which is my preference. I think some people buddy dove, but it was under their own initiative.

Richard.

Hi @drrich2

So you got an average of a little under 92 cu ft of gas by using the AL100s, you would have had just over 78 cu ft with AL80s. I would imagine the extra gas was useful to you.

I would imagine the extra gas was useful to you.

Yes; I'm not awful on SAC, but tended to run low on gas faster than other divers. No regrets about choosing the 100-cf tanks; in another thread the issue of 'real capacity for your money' came up and I wanted people to know in advance so nobody gets surprised or disappointed. I don't think the issue is unique to Tres Pelicanos; I think it's an issue with the tank supplier.

Since Tres Pelicanos is well-known here and has repeat customers, a few notes:

1.) I don't think the owner was around.
2.) Jeanie's husband Mike was on some of the trips, likable, and one can learn about the operation, island and diving by listening to him.
3.) Jorge (a guide) was in South Africa for an Iron Man competition; didn't meet him.
4.) Day 1 our guide was Julio, Day 2 Jose and after that Edgar. 1 2-Tank boat trip a temp. guy was captain; otherwise it was Campeche, whose son was on the boat helping out some of the trips.
5.) Most of the other divers were quite seasoned; one day there was a lady in the afternoon said to be a 'new diver,' and Edgar kept a closer eye on her.

Richard.

Excellent review! We have been to Cozumel twice this year diving with 3P’s. After reading your trip report I feel like I just did my third. :wink:

1.) I don't think the owner was around.

Oh you would have known if he was. Steve would have been right there diving with you. Great guy.

Nice trip report. Your topside photos, especially, have me really longing to be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom