Travis current state of affairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, oh, come on. it is still a little impressive right....

I can't really explain why it happened or how it was fixed, but at 115 ft everything was fine until about 20 minutes into the dive. Breathing became a lot harder so I knew something was up. I went to my buddy who was right next to me told him to hang on for a minute and then when I felt it stop delivering gas altogether, I told him I wanted to share air.

We ascended to our first stop where I could safely switch to my deco gas and once there, I took apart my second stage - yes, just the cover and diaphragm and 'looked at it.' My look must have done it because when I put it all back together it worked. It was breathing wet when I started breathing on it and so I opened it back up and rearranged everything and again put it all back together. This time it worked fine and continues to work fine.

Not sure what happened...

Layne

I might just have that sucker serviced if you aren't trained to do it yourself.. Good to have Good Buddies, isn't it? :) Glad everything worked out good.

Well, despite what Joe-Diver said, I am impressed. I am not sure I would have the presence of mind or the nerve to disassemble a malfunctioning reg in the water . . . . and then reassemble it to test-breathe it again.

You know, this is two (could-have-been) gas delivery malfunctions in the past week. Texdiveguy reports having an o-ring blow out while in the water. I am not sure what to make of these matters and the timing.

Have you had the chance to look at it again?

Check the air barrell that has the adjustment knob.
There was one situation were it rotated down and then diaphram could not be activated. However, this is really easy to spot.

Wet breathing is typically a sign of the mushroom valve being inverted or pulled into the cage that holds it. Sand can get around the seal or debris. However, ripping the rig down and reassembling it can take a minute to positively expel all the water.

Might want to do a IM pressure check, is the HP seat is good order? Most regulators that are downstream just leak when your IM rises; there have been a few exceptions.

If you were running a long hose could you have pinched the hose at the light canister or a specific point?

The drop in breathing pressure is the most confusing part.

Just a few thoughts from an old regulator tech; just trying to help.
Later, Andrew

Thanks Crazyduck, Yeah, I took it apart that afternoon. Everything is working properly. I did not see any reason why it should stop delivering gas. I even went into the pool and no problems. I will check it again this weekend at depth and see what happens....

Layne

Back
Top Bottom