Travis current state of affairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you breathe too much compressed air at depth before you wrote this? :shakehead:

What is it you want to know?

The deepest I have measured lately was 137'.

Several dive shops have been using the boat for AOW and OW classes and things go quite smoothly. The shuttle takes the divers to the boat and we find a location suitable for the course. Instructors can contact me to discuss arrangements for classes and should reserve early because the boat has been filling up quickly for the past month.

Facebook users - A page has been set up for Lake Travis Scuba and I will begin posting charter reports, photos, and other information.

Come on out for a dive during these record low lake levels and dive some areas rarely accessible to the non-technical divers.

What would you guess the 'deepest' a diver might get in an area acc. to him by walking//http://www.laketravisscuba.com/scheduling.html//motorcycle//bike..........?

QUOTE=texdiveguy;4651289]What would you guess the 'deepest' a diver might get in an area acc. to him by walking//http://www.laketravisscuba.com/scheduling.html//motorcycle//bike..........?[/QUOTE]

Missed you this week, I need to get your phone and cell numbers. We saw 150 +/- in most of the lake including coves. River bed was 175+, vis was nice below 35-40 on the walls (did about 120 at Franks wall) and nice in the shallows, despite the showers on Thursday. We toured north to some nice scenery and waspnest bluff is beautiful.
P1010094.JPG

P1010126.JPG

tony

Last edited:
I was at Lake Travis this past weekend with richerso. We dove from the "Giant Stride" dive boat through Lake Travis Scuba. Robert is amazing and so so nice! They picked us up in the parking lot along with our dive gear and drove us down to where the boat was. We walked down the sandy bank to get on the boat. Everywhere else looked like a it was going to be a hike down a cliff, even at Windy Point. It is unbelievable how low the lake is. We dove the "Shaker Plant" off of "sometimes islands". The monolith structures were sitting in about 20 feet of water with lots of timber and other cement items scattered along the edge where it drops off to the river channel. We also dove around "Starnes Island" finding all kinds of things dropped off the party boats. Both these places are only accessible by boat and with the lake low there is not as much boat traffic due to all the ramps and docks being out of the water. Alot of these places like the Shaker plant are usually in 70 to 100 feet of water at normal levels. You can still hit 100 + going into the river channel. Robert is so knowledgeable about the lake. If you get a chance to go to Lake Travis, I would highly recommend diving with Robert off his boat.

Missed you this week, I need to get your phone and cell numbers. We saw 150 +/- in most of the lake including coves. River bed was 175+, vis was nice below 35-40 on the walls (did about 120 at Franks wall) and nice in the shallows, despite the showers on Thursday. We toured north to some nice scenery and waspnest bluff is beautiful.
P1010094.JPG

P1010126.JPG

tony

Boy THAT is one ugly mug. Tony, you should choose your friends more wisely! :)

The drop off is ok there, you can park by (not past) the cones at Bob Wentz, carry your gear to shore near the public porta potties and walk down to the beach entry, follow the bare path/spot down to the water, enter there, and drop to about 50' and you will find the scoreboard.

We found the scoreboard yesterday morning 35-40'.

We went to the bottom. All 115' of it !!!

Found: 1 snorkel and 1 longhorns baseball cap.
Failed: 1 primary light. 1 computer. 1 reg.

Viz on the bottom was not as good as last weekend. I think the lake won today :D

Whose light failed Ian....

Layne

I am more interested in hearing about the regulator failure. That sounds like that could make for an exciting minute or two.

I am more interested in hearing about the regulator failure. That sounds like that could make for an exciting minute or two.

Layne would know better than myself as he was breathing from it :D
With doubles something like this is a non event.Just switch to the backup and call the dive. Compare that to being solo with a single tank. A reg failure could easily be fatal at that depth. Stuff does happen!

Interesting, but I'm more impressed by the midwater, on the fly, repair!:cool2:
Most common cause of sudden reg problems is sand/pebbles inside the second stage. Take the front plate and diaphragm off then swish the reg around to remove the gunk. Dont drop the parts :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom