Travel fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PonchoTA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

Looking for a good pair of lightweight travel fins. I don't really care for the split fins, but my Jetfins are too heavy, and my ankles start hurting after a while. Any good, efficient fins on the market that are light enough to travel with also?

Many thanks!

Paul

When I travel by air, I take these. Light weight and pretty good performance.
Cressi Reactions
014426_big_new.jpg

Look at the new Aqualung Hotshot fins, light weight, compact, and so far I have been impressed with their performance.

These get excellent reviews. I have a pair and they are perfect unless you are doing a lot of shore diving. They are the Mares Avanti Superchannel fullfoot fins.

Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fins

And only $45!!!

Here is a review Scubalab did on them:

18 New Fins | Scuba Diving

As you can see, they outperformed many of the open heel fins that were 3 to 4 times the cost.

When I travel by air, I take these. Light weight and pretty good performance.
Cressi Reactions
014426_big_new.jpg

I'll look at those! Thanks! I've dove with Cressi's before (ex-g/f) and they worked well. Don't know why I didn't think of those!

Look at the new Aqualung Hotshot fins, light weight, compact, and so far I have been impressed with their performance.

Thanks, I'll look at those too!

These get excellent reviews. I have a pair and they are perfect unless you are doing a lot of shore diving. They are the Mares Avanti Superchannel fullfoot fins.

Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fins

And only $45!!!

Here is a review Scubalab did on them:

18 New Fins | Scuba Diving

As you can see, they outperformed many of the open heel fins that were 3 to 4 times the cost.
I think I like the open heel better for fit though. I like having a boot on, even if it's a little more clunky. Thanks for the post though! :thumbsup:

Any good, efficient fins on the market that are light enough to travel with also?

Well, the problem will be the inherent conflict between "lightweight" and "efficient" to certain extent. Jets are very efficient because they are stiff. In order to be stiff they need a certain amount of mass/density. Because of this amount of mass/density, they are also heavy. OMS Slipstreams are the same basic design, and are a little bit lighter. They are also not as stiff. Tradeoff.

Some folks seem to like the DiveRite EXP fin as a lightweight fin. Not as stiff as Jets, though...

dive%20rite%20expfins.jpg

Hi folks,

Looking for a good pair of lightweight travel fins. I don't really care for the split fins, but my Jetfins are too heavy, and my ankles start hurting after a while. Any good, efficient fins on the market that are light enough to travel with also?

Many thanks!

Paul

ScubaPro Nova

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I travel with the APS Mantaray fins, which are the open-heel variety. They're lightweight and rather short, so they can easily fit inside a carry-on bag. The foot pocket is big enough to fit both my wetsuit and drysuit boots. The rubber finstrap has worked nicely so far for me.

I wouldn't say they are the most powerful or efficient fins on the market, but I can do all of my kicks in them -- frog, back, helicopter turn, flutter, etc.

I recommend that you ignore all (or at least most) of the marketing on the official website. Test them out if you can. For me, they were a good compromise for a travel fin.

Back
Top Bottom