Travel Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

Any recommendations for a good travel fin? Light-weight, short, but with good thrust as well? I will mostly use these fins in the tropics.

I'm not up on the fin market at all (as I am on regs and computers and BP/Ws), and this is because I have a pair of Jetfins, which simply last forever, and have never thought about new fins. But I'm beginning to travel to the tropics a bit for some diving and my XL Jetfins are just too heavy to take on the road.

Thanks,

Mahjong

You did not specify water temp. Here in Japan I dive Tuso splits with good results both wet and dry. 3 years ago I bought a pair of Zeagle Teleoz for my frequent work trips to Micronesia. The folks on the boats still laugh at me but I highly reccomend if you dive a BP. I wear with booties shorediving and barefoot onboard. They seem flimsy but can hold their own even in strong offshore currents. If you sling ponies or dive a vest BC may not be advisable but have worked well for me.
Nothing is lighter !

I have the same problem. I have XL Jets and love them but they weigh a lot for travelling (especially with airlines tightening up on weight allowance).

I recently asked on here about the OMS Slipstream and found out that they are about half the weight of the Jets and have comparable performance and characteristics in the water (other than weight and bouyancy of course). I'm seriously considering getting some of these for my next trip

Since you mentioned "tropical" waters, that opens up an entire family of full-foot, lightweight fins. Since they are usually lighter (and are worn without booties) that can be a significant weight savings (allowing you to pack more camera gear!)

My only caveat : you must try them on before buying, as foot pocket fit is critical, since you wear them barefoot and rubbing can cause irritation/blisters, especially when used for the first few times. Personally, I look for the "softest feeling" foot pocket material, and then go from there with actual fitment.

I have an old pair of Oceanic Caribe fins (a Tester's Choice in Rodale's some years ago for power vs. weight) and have used them all over the World with great results. I believe they are still made, albeit in a "new, improved" version, perhaps called Caribe II or some such thing....as long as it's the same basic design it's probably a winner, but there are so many out there you'd best try them out in person.

Good Luck,
HB

don't forget the ForceFins, their ability to pack is one of their great features, if you size them right you can get the Comfort instep and allow you to dive them barefoot or with a bootie.

I too am a diver who has used a pai of SP XL Jetfins for the last 10 years. Most of my diving is done with a drysuit and the SP XL Jetfins work great for that. I realized that my feet are too Heavy in the water when I am diving a 3mm suit and realized I had to go to a lighter fin (Neutrally buoyant) fins to help my trim.

I tried a whole bunch of fins to try to mimic the propulsion that I got from my SP's and I ended up going to an old pair of Mares Quattro fins I had sitting around. I wanted the propulsion I need to use an effective frog kick and all the rest of the newer fins were either too stiff, to flimsy and did not get close the feeling of the SP Jetfins.

My experience with my old quattros were they responsed similar to the SP except they were lighter. I would have to exaggerate my movements to get the same effect. I realize the weight of the SP fins helped in the propulsion. After a couple of dives I became accustomed to the lighter fin and stopped thinking about them.

A pair of Spring straps on my old Quattros I now I have lighter pair of fins to help me in the water. I now have a set of Travel fins that are much lighter than my SP Jetfins.
My Quattros are black too:wink:

Jim

I ended up going to an old pair of Mares Quattro fins I had sitting around. I wanted the propulsion I need to use an effective frog kick and all the rest of the newer fins were either too stiff, to flimsy and did not get close the feeling of the SP Jetfins. My experience with my old quattros were they responsed similar to the SP except they were lighter. ... A pair of Spring straps on my old Quattros I now I have lighter pair of fins to help me in the water.
Ditto this! I use Jets for my drysuit and Quattros, with spring straps, for wetsuit (3mm) / travel diving. Good propulsion, light, comfortable. But, mine are blue!

You could have a look at the APS Mantarays / DeepOutdoors Sixgill (same fin). They're new but people seem to like them. I just got a pair but haven't dove them yet... love the strap!

Take a look at the Mares Avanti Fullfoot Superchannel. They were the #1 rated fin last year among 18 that were tested. They even beat out the more expensive fins that were 3 times their price. I have a pair coming but they won't get here until mid April because there has been a big demand for them since the test results came out. They have a retail price of $70 but most places sell them for $60 or less.

BDSC

Dive Rite fins w/ spring heel... very light weight and great thrust. I bought them for travel for light weight but most of the time I end up diving them in my dry suit and doubles setup as well. They have great reverse thrust ability too so if you are into photo you can completely maneuver in close to the reef w/out ever touching anything.

SCUBA Diving Fins...All-Purpose Fins for All-Purpose Diving

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom