Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just call it the blade of the fin, maybe we should call them foot blades or perhaps this should be linked to the semantics thread? :wink:
The Académie Française is France's national regulatory authority for the French language. It famously decreed that the French term for "pipeline" should be "oléoduc" ("oleoduct") and not the English loanword "pipeline". Most French speakers ignored the ruling and continued using the term "pipeline".

The English language has no comparable regulatory authority. We have different spelling conventions for English on either side of the Atlantic Ocean (e.g. traveling / travelling) and even different American / British words for the same entity (e.g. sidewalk / pavement). With a language as widely and diversely spoken and written as English, my focus would be on "describing" rather than "prescribing" or "proscribing" usage, the lattermost two requiring the backing of international authorities respected by English speakers worldwide. For want of such linguistic legislative bodies, let us be content to take on board whatever contemporary and historical precedents there are for the use of terminology such as "fin" and "flipper" to denote divers' foot appendages in whole or in part before rushing to judgement.

I found it best to buy cheap fins, or flippers, and cut them down to fit my suitcase, as described in this experiment;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom