Travel Backplate - XS Scuba Aluminum vs Mares XR Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the price between this and the DGX, I'll probably just buy the dog bone and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, put it up for sale.

I use the Piranha dog bone aluminum plate in red (Aluminium Dog Bone Style Lightweight Backplate) with a VDH Argonaut 23 wing. It is $75, but cheaper if you purchase it along with the dir harness webbing and hardware at Piranha.
My husband uses the DGX set. There are no noticeable differences between the DGX and the dog bone style one, neither of us can feel the backplate while wearing anything from a neutrally-buoyant suit to a 7mm wetsuit.

The reason I chose the dog bone is that it cuts down on weight for travel/luggage without sacrificing anything else. There are no comfort issues that I experienced, nor do I have any concerns about its strength. It also looks pretty cool to me without having to spend any extra money. 😂 Also, with my warm water suit, I don't need any additional weight, so there is no need to bring a heavier plate. Otherwise, it works exactly the same way as other backplates (almost the same exact hole pattern).

I use the Piranha dog bone aluminum plate in red (Aluminium Dog Bone Style Lightweight Backplate) with a VDH Argonaut 23 wing. It is $75, but cheaper if you purchase it along with the dir harness webbing and hardware at Piranha.
My husband uses the DGX set. There are no noticeable differences between the DGX and the dog bone style one, neither of us can feel the backplate while wearing anything from a neutrally-buoyant suit to a 7mm wetsuit.

The reason I chose the dog bone is that it cuts down on weight for travel/luggage without sacrificing anything else. There are no comfort issues that I experienced, nor do I have any concerns about its strength. It also looks pretty cool to me without having to spend any extra money. 😂 Also, with my warm water suit, I don't need any additional weight, so there is no need to bring a heavier plate. Otherwise, it works exactly the same way as other backplates (almost the same exact hole pattern).
This is the exact info I was looking for. Thank you very much!

This is the exact info I was looking for. Thank you very much!

How much weight do you normally carry and do you check luggage? I don't much care about travel weight in my checked bag, I do appreciate not needing any weight pockets other than the DGX pouches on the camband.

Given the price between this and the DGX, I'll probably just buy the dog bone and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, put it up for sale.
@TheOldPilot How has this worked out for you? I'm currently looking for the same and am undecided between a soft or aluminum BP for travel.

I tie bungies to those holes on the side of my DGX backplate. So I can put my DSMB bungied on the back of the plate, under the wing.

Don't think the bone plates have that option.

You e probably purchased your bp/w setup but I just saw this thread. I’ve been using the oxycheq ultralight travel plate with their Mach V wing and dive rite trans plate harness since 2009. Thought about getting a dog bone plate a few years ago but figured why change out something I like that’s also easy to pack. 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom