Travel Backplate - XS Scuba Aluminum vs Mares XR Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheOldPilot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Friend,

I'm putting together my first BP/W system and looking for a back plate to pair with a DGX S1 Gears Singles Singles Wing (DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing). My goal is a lightweight travel oriented rig focusing on simplicity, durability, and value (I know there are lighter wings and lighter back plates, but I'm not a hardcore minimalist and spending significantly more just to save a few ounces isn't in my playbook). I only plan on doing "shallow", warm-water diving (reefs, etc.) to recreational depths.

I searched through the forum and couldn't locate much on either of the two back plates I'm looking at, so I'm hoping folks here could give me some info if they have first/second-hand knowledge or experience...it not with these exact products, soft vs. hard back plate experience would be helpful. Two main questions I have concern the following:

1. I've come across two instances of people saying the soft plates are unnoticeable compared to hard, but I would think that not true or soft plates would command a much higher market share.
2. Would the shape of the aluminum plate listed below impact user experience? Again, if this were not true, would we not see such a design more?

What I'm looking at:
Mares XR Backplate Soft (Soft Backplate | Mares)
XS Scuba Aluminum Travel Backplate (Aluminum Travel Backplate — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive)

Appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks!

2. Would the shape of the aluminum plate listed below impact user experience? Again, if this were not true, would we not see such a design more?
Simplicity vs versatility
I have never seen any travel backplate for twin tank rigging.

It's be nice to hear from someone who has used a dog bone plate like the XSS. I wonder if you'll feel it on your back? It does looks cool, though.

The "safe" bet is the DGX AL plate mentioned above. Hard to beat that price point.

Where do the twin tanks come from?
OP asked for simplicity, durability and value.
The " dog bone plate" is simple but it has very limited application ie. for single tank diving only. While the normal Al plate offers a bit more. Which one has better value for money?
We all have different opinion when value is mentioned!

Single tank is all I need…if I ever get to doubles, I just assume up front an increase in all kinds of costs as it is.

By value, I primarily mean good quality at a good price. Paying extra for brand names of fancy features isn’t really my style.

The dog bone primarily interested me simply for physical space saving and weight saving. Would still be interested if there are any first hand users (of this or similar) who could speak to the performance/comfort and if the shape is more gimmick than anything else.

The dog bone primarily interested me simply for physical space saving and weight saving. Would still be interested if there are any first hand users (of this or similar) who could speak to the performance/comfort and if the shape is more gimmick than anything else.
This guy uses one for his warm water travel rig. He's the founder of a GUE-style training agency and does not put up with substandard gear.

If you want more firsthand responses, you should probably start a new thread on the topic

Here's one for $75 with color options. Drilled and slotted for doubles so Centrals should approve. (The XS Scuba version is as well.)

15260-12194.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom