Transplate, transpack , or basic harness and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be more precise, I bought a backplate (steel) and a single tank adapter along with a wing and a basic harness a few years ago. . . . I will start doing more dives and want to use my backplate to reduce the weight on my belt. With the drysuit, I have to use between 30 and 34 pounds. with 10 pounds in weight pockets, it still leaves 20-24 pounds on my belt and my back is not what it used to be. . . . . I know I could use a basic or deluxe harness but I want something easy and fast to adjust (I still dive with a wetsuit 7mm or 3mm in tropical destinations, or shorts and t-shirt) so that is why I think I might appreciate the quick releases on the transplate. . . . Am I on the right track or am I missing something here?
Three thoughts: 1. With a drysuit, and an ALUMINUM cylinder, and a (floaty, positively buoyant) fabric BCD, using 30 lbs in salt water is not altogether unheard of. I was there once. But, what I found was that a) a shift to a 6lb steel backpate, b) a shift to a steel cylinder (HP120 at first), and c) optimizing my weight tended to reduce that amount to something much more manageable (12 pounds). So, go with your steel backplate AND, as you are already thinking, move to a steel cylinder. 2. I have a deluxe harness (OMS, not Dive Rite) on one of my steel plates, and I have dove a borrowed Transplate a number of times over the years. I just don't find the deluxe harnesses to be as functional as a single piece, in part because the construction really limits the positioning of the shoulder D-rings. They are not BAD, per se, they just don't offer any advantages, certainly when considering the extra expense. 3. I admit that I also like to have a should quick release (just one) when I am diving a drysuit. It just makes it easier for me to get out of my rig. So, I had a quick release sewn into a harness at my local show repair shop.

The bottom line: I can make a fully functional harness for a backplate, with some webbing and some stainless steel hardware (buckle, D-rings), and a quick release on only one side, that is more functional - for me - than a deluxe harness.

One other thought - I went down the DUI Weight and trim harness route for a while. I still have that harness, in fact, although i haven't used in in 15+ years. I didn't particularly care for it. I found it far more satisfying to get my weight optimized, and dive with a steel BP and a steel cylinder, and a manageable amount of weight on a belt.

I am fairly fresh to Scuba and only have real experience with my setup. The only comparison I have is to the basic BCD's that I used when doing the Open Water Course.

Diverite Deluxe Harness
ST Backplate
STA
Quick Release dive pouches
Crotch strap
Steel Tank (hired, I dont own one yet)

It took me a few dives to get all the straps the right length as the harnesses are super adjustable. However, once setup correctly I feel extremely stable both on land and in the water. Where as the regular BCD's always felt bulky and don't glide very well in comparison when underwater. I also recently switched to hiring a steel tank and that is way better, I longer have to jam pack my weight pouches!

My only issue is that I now want to travel and its not really ideal to be taking a ST Backplate and STA with you (weight). With that in mind I am looking at investing in a Transpac XT sometime next year for when we travel overseas to warmer waters.

I'm in east end Lake Ontario, & St Lawrence River most of the time, but I've been to Les Escoumins & St Luce. For single tank dives, I dive a transpac in freshwater, but for Ocean diving in a drysuit. I opt for backplate & wing with STA & keel weight in backplate.

I have had transplate. It was my first BC setup. I didn't like it as much as simple basic harness. If one day I lose my body flexibility, I will go with DR deluxe or Halcyon cinch type of harness. Transplate IMO, is too complicated, and not as confortable

I have used a transpac with a travel wing for many years and it is still my favorite. Though I only dive in warm water with no wetsuit and I do not have to use any weight :p

Back
Top Bottom