Transmitter Mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

My wife just gave me a Perdix AI (yea!!!). I am struggling how to mount the transmitter (boo!!!). Below is how I mount my Atomic regulator.

If I mount it directly to the first stage, it is going to be sticking up to the left (you can see the HP port in the picture). Worse, IMO, it will actually be raised up so it would be the highest thing thus anything would bump the transmitter first.

I think my options are A) add a 4-6 inch short hose and attach the transmitter to the secondary hose. B) Move the hose coming off the bottom LP port to a side port. Rotate the regulator back to a 90 degree angle. C) Ditch the SPG and run the transmitter off the right HP port. (Maybe this is a long term fix but not in the short term).

I feel like I am not a fan of A or B (I never liked this hose routing which is why I run the 45 degree setup). Are there any options I am missing? Someone else out there running Atomics must have figured this out.

Thanks for any help,
-Mike

313410-5d6fbb15c42fce84bb24a14455a12b22.jpg

I dive your rig with the 4-6" hoselet on the second port. If you have a transmitter malfunction or just want redundancy (my cobalt 2 lost the seal between the HP hose and the transducer after about 1 1/2 yrs, DURING a dive - the case started bubbling), then you have a reason to have a hose on left where it always is.
Having it on a hoselet keeps someone from using the transmitter as a handle, or as you pointed out, bumping it.
I mount my first stage just as you do, because it's a perfect routing for my longer primary hose under my arm into a 90° connector on the second stage. So with that first stage angle, the hoselet keeps the transmitter from sticking up above everything else where it's vulnerable. I've never had any trouble with my hoselet. But apart from that Cobalt malfunction, there's no real reason to have both gauges, in which case you could just tuck it on the down-side port. I'm thinking of doing that, but have gotten used to two computers (Cobalt and Luna) as I compare conservatism settings.
I think when I get a Shearwater, I'll give up the Cobalt and its hose, but I do love their compass.

Last edited:
I've had an Oceanic VT3 for 7 years. I run a SPG off the left HP port and have my transmitter off the right HP port. I wear the VT3 on my left wrist. I have never lost connectivity for longer than 30 seconds, this option works just fine, no extra short hoses.
upload_2017-8-14_19-39-2.png

Thanks for all the comments.

Tbone - you pose an interesting question to a rec diver. Why do you need redundant tank pressure?

There are lots of threads on sb about this. I only really dive on vacations and I vacation to dive. I don't want to call a vacation dive for a transmitter. So I fall into the camp of wanting a backup gauge until I feel I trust the transmitter. Right now I've got zero dives with it so I cant answer if it even works and how often (if ever) it drops signal.

So I'll probably keep using a gauge for a few dives and if everything goes well I'll remove the SPG and carry in the bag.

For a single hose routing I use the vertical arrangement. For double hose I tilt them inwards (rather than outwards as the OP has done).

For the OP just get short piece of HP hose and try that off the right post. I do that along with a Suunto quick disconnect. The QD lets me take the transmitter off and stow it. I also like that just in case a someone wants to haul my cylinder and grabs the transmitter my mistake.

I added a short 6" dongle off my right HP port with a spool.

The tech at the store felt the oring on the transmitter is not needed. Actually if you put the hose on with the oring on the transmitter the oring is still visible. We removed it oring , pressurized everything and there were no leaks.

Is this correct?

@Charred that o-ring is required when putting it directly on the first stage as it becomes the sealing o-ring. When used with a hose, the spool has the sealing o-rings so it isn't needed

That's what we thought - just wanted to confirm. I appreciate your response.

I have to admit I kind of hate the dongle. I've got a bike tube pairing it to my secondary hose but still looks ghetto. I'm sure I am going to get "you are going to die" glances from others. I'm lake diving this weekend and off to Cozumel next. I think if everything works out fine in the lake I'm going to move the SPG to the bag and move the transmitter to my left HP port.

My only hesitation is that the transmitter is reading ~150 lower than my SPG (I checked every 500 psi) and I already know my SPG reads ~100-150 low (near 3000, could be different at lower PSI). I really don't want to be diving thinking my tank pressure is really 200-300 higher than it is. The guy in the shop recommended I go into shallow water (4-5 feet) and breath the tank down to find out which one is accurate at the low end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom