Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you could easily take video with a head cam and a head mounted light. The problem that I expect would be back scatter from the light since it would be closely aligned with the camera.

Also, the wider the angle of light, the more backscatter you get and most head mounted cameras are going to be pretty wide angle, so you would want a similar wide angle light. In dark clear water it might work OK, but dirty water with particles, the video would probably not look nice.

That’s why I would like to see the video from such setup.

I think you could easily take video with a head cam and a head mounted light
Of course you can, but it will be rubbish since you will not be able to line it up properly with any subjects you are filming.

Best keep a GoPro on a stick like what @Dan does.

When I first started tech diving one of my buddies made a mount for his GoPro on the top part of his rebreather so that it shot over his left hand shoulder. It worked and removed all the motion sickness induced movement from mounting on the head, but it was boring to watch and required heaps of editing from two hours to five minutes.

Reactions: Dan
Hey, I’m a GoPro on the stick diver. I can stick my GoPro under a table coral to see a sleeping Whitetip Reef Shark (as shown at 1 minute mark of the video, below). Try to stick your head with camera on a mask into that tight space without getting stung by Hydroid. It ain’t going to happen! Your head is too big to fit in that tight space. 😜

Nice video compilation. I believe you have far too much experience than our new member naked diver.
Lots of places I can get my camera and tray close to but not get my head in that's for sure. Let alone the bubbles causing havoc.
Maybe ND could show us how to get into the tiny space a mantis might be hiding in. Be great putting your head in target range.

MANTIS HIDING.jpg

but it was boring to watch and required heaps of editing from two hours to five minutes.
This is normal, even for professionals. I routinely take 6+ hours of video from multiple cameras and distill it into 20 minutes of finished footage. Hell,sometimes a take 6 hours of footage and get nothing usable out of it. Such is the nature of adventure filming. Some things just aren't that interesting.

That has not been my experience. I use lights on my helmet and also a can light on my left hand. No issues with either setup in regards to pics, video, or buddies.

People have explained their reasoning, but it seems you require validation over information. As such, I won't be following this thread any further.

Again, good luck and enjoy your diving.

DW
So you have no problem with the light on your head, yet you dismiss me doing it as crazy.
Nonsense. You stated opinions. Now you claim that my camera can't take photos or videos where I look because it's not on my head.
I wonder how I got this video? Did I look at what I was taking video of as I held my camera tray? How is my camera going to take photos if it is on my head?

How will it focus and take the picture without me reaching to press the shutter button?
I just use a 4K video camera, it's shooting continuously.
Who wants to only swim. There are times when you would want to put your head face to face with a Spiny Devil Scorpion fish at ground level. Hard to do that with a head mounted camera and torch

The torch and camera don't stick out much. I'm surprised it wasn't scared of you though, since you're a lot bigger than him and are wearing all sorts of scary looking stuff that might be weapons for all it knows.
yeah that's the first thing i thought of when i read this post...like...not sure how well that's gonna go for you buddy
It already does go well, I just wanted to have one less thing strapped round my head.
guess i've been diving wrong this whole time. i was under the impression that you don't use your hands/arms to swim, and you move your head around to look at things around you. oops! thank you for making me realize the error of my ways.
/s /s /s
So how do you steer? How do you swim fast?
Out of curiosity, where do you dive in Scotland?

DW
Lochs and the sea, but I'm gonna try some disused quarries I was recommended.
Have some sympathy for the underpaid third world dive guides. They can’t afford to buy a GoPro, and if people quit using mask mounts, they probably wouldn’t be able to find lost ones on the reef either
Are you trying to say they fall off mask mounts? Why would they do that? If you're carrying one, you're more likely to lose it.
I think you could easily take video with a head cam and a head mounted light. The problem that I expect would be back scatter from the light since it would be closely aligned with the camera.

Also, the wider the angle of light, the more backscatter you get and most head mounted cameras are going to be pretty wide angle, so you would want a similar wide angle light. In dark clear water it might work OK, but dirty water with particles, the video would probably not look nice.
I don't find back scatter any different if the torch and camera are together or not. Just as I don't notice much difference when you use front fog lamps on a car. If the visibility is poor, it's poor.

Maybe ND could show us how to get into the tiny space a mantis might be hiding in. Be great putting your head in target range.
Easy enough to take the camera off the mask for the odd occasion I need to. One thumbscrew.

Well let naked diver use his noggin and try it. The video will be crap but he might get a photo or two from it. His video won't really be any different than divers with go pros on a stick. I'm a bit niggardly when it comes to wasting battery power so take video when I see something that interests me. I only turn my camera on when I need to use it that way I can get 3 dives a day on one battery.
I'm a bit lazy and don't edit my video but they are mainly for my vacation memories, and for SB lol.

How is naked diver going to get his head close enough for these bubble shrimp in super macro and actually film them
ND might just only get the soft bubble and nothing else.

I thought about your diving situation from your posts on my vacation. Wishing you the best so that you can dive again.

He’ll find out soon enough this method won’t work. And when he does, he can post the video and stills on SB for all of us to laugh at.
And thanks! Probably next summer or the one after if I can dive again

We should have annual forum awards.

This thread seems like it would win a category hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom