Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked diver 2

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a mask with a camera mount. I have a torch with a headband. Very clumsy to use both. Is there a way to attach a camera AND a torch to the same mask? Somebody must have done this, but Google shows nothing.

To add to @davehicks post, mounting a torch on your head while diving is going to blind yourself in anything but the most clear water. You almost always have particulates suspended in the water column, and if you mount a torch on your head, they will reflect torchlight right into your eyes - it's like being in a dense fog. For the same reason, you see photographers mounting their lights and strobes on long arms - if the light source is close to the lens, the picture will be full of snow; your eyes aren't any different.

I don't have anything attached to my mask, but I do have lights and an action cam mounted on a helmet.

I find that a lower lumen light works better in low vis (I have a couple of 500 lumen lights).

1000 lumen lights work well most of the time if the vis is 15 feet or better.

With a bit of practice you can get acceptable results, or shoot a series of still shots. As others have mentioned, it will not be as stable as other methods.

DW

If you use something like a GoPro with a 170 degree field of view, a lot of the shakiness problem goes away. For best results with video, I recommend at least two cameras mounted in different places.

Where on earth would you mount a camera or torch if not on your head?!
I have been using a wrist mount with fair success, and am also looking into making a cam band mount. Other options would be a chest mount facing downward or a shoulder mount facing either forward or down.

These are not the primary camera you are using to tell the story, but rather collecting B roll which makes editing easier and giving different angles if you see something really awesome. You might only use 30 seconds of footage out of a half hour video, or may not use any of the footage at all. With digital, that doesn't matter! GoPros, especially the older or knock-off ones, are cheap the more of them you have, the more options you have for telling the story of your dive.

Neoprene Goodman handle for the torch

I really don't fancy attaching my camera housing on my mask though 🤣

Putting a camera or torch on your hand is obviously useless, as your hands move around a lot with swimming. The head is both stable, and also faces the way you're looking. There is simply no better place for either device.

For those of you with a clue, I found the answer, a mask with a camera mount, a camera mount double adapter, a torch grabber that goes onto a camera mount, and a normal diving torch.

Putting a camera or torch on your hand is obviously useless
I think 99% of people here would disagree with that statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom