Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't do it. Mounting a camera on the head is a great way to lose it. And nobody want to watch shaky nausea inducing video from your floppy skull. Mounting a light on your head is even worse. You look at your buddy and blind them.
Unless it's to literally document a task your completing, a head-mounted camera is a bad idea. Cameras need to helped still and "aimed". I was subjected to a week of films shot on one of these things while on a liveaboard a few years back, and the clips were literally causing motion sickness. Nobody wants to see a literal replay of a dive.

Don't do it.

Unless it's to literally document a task your completing, a head-mounted camera is a bad idea. Cameras need to helped still and "aimed". I was subjected to a week of films shot on one of these things while on a liveaboard a few years back, and the clips were literally causing motion sickness. Nobody wants to see a literal replay of a dive.

Don't do it.
If the diver remembers they have a head camera on, they can reduce and slow head motion when filming. It is not as smooth as holding a big camera with two hands, but a little practice, use of a wide angle camera and the "hyper-smooth" of modern go pro, can allow some decent clips. It takes discipline on the part of the diver/videographer.

Just because some people can't control their head motion, does not mean that all divers are similarly challenged.

Just because some people can't control their head motion, does not mean that all divers are similarly challenged.
Not in my experience, but I'm happy to take your word for it. If you can direct me to a YouTube video shot on a Noggin-Cam, I'd love to see it!

Not in my experience, but I'm happy to take your word for it. If you can direct me to a YouTube video shot on a Noggin-Cam, I'd love to see it!
My buddy who has mask mounted GoPro said “paint in the neck”, literally.

Ok. Now I have to take issue…
Sorry I should have said, for the equal opportunities act or whatever it is, girly or gay hissy fit.
Divers with these goofy contraptions just help the rest of us know who to stay well clear of.
Why? Are they going to explode?
I do this a lot from my GoPro. So the picture below is crap?

View attachment 753927
Well it doesn't even fill my HD monitor.
One of my favorite grabs.

View attachment 753961

If sex is a pain in the ass you're doing it wrong.

My buddy who has mask mounted GoPro said “paint in the next”, literally.
WTF does that expression mean?

He does say about control too. Why fishes look like fishes (with big tail fins & small pectoral fins). Same apply to dolphins, whales, seals with legs morf into big paddles and arms morf into small pectoral paddles.
But humans have big pecs and should use them.
Could we converse in English instead of little cartoons?
In the beginning you dive using your hands like a swimmer. Much like a baby or toddler crawls.

Then you learn how to dive properly, using your legs. Much as you learned to walk and run using your legs.

The fact is your legs are far more powerful than your arms and the fins you wear give you tremendous propulsion: anyone with fins can out swim an olympic swimmer (for a short distance at least).

When you've been diving for a bit with skilled people, not flappy leg divers, you'll find that you can swim forwards, backwards, turn around and generally hold yourself in position. No hands required.

You can, but use your arms aswell and it's even better.

When it comes to torches, they're far better off in your hand(s). Simply because they can be pointed at whatever you're looking at, using your eyes to look in that direction.

Or just turn your head which moves your eyes and the torch and the camera in one go. All lined up without you having to do so yourself.

Also you don't blind people. Most torches are narrow beams anyway, not least for signalling.
Then don't look directly at people's faces. And guess what, your eyes swivel seperately. Think how that could make you not dazzle them.

In Scotland you'll have variable conditions. Even if the visibility is good there's sometimes lots of tannin in the water which absorbs light. Loch Ness for example: very clear water but the tannin sucks the light.

And if that were the case, visibility would be low anyway. Moving the light source doesn't magically make the water clear.

If you do need lighting on your head, as in caving and the like, you wear a helmet. These make excellent mountings for lights.

Ugh, more equipment. Diving should be a watersport, go get wet!

Putting crap on your mask is just begging bother when it gets knocked off with kelp,

Then tighten it.

the wreck, as you jump in, or should the strap fail.

Fail? That's why I use less equipment, less to go wrong.

Finally, you are presenting yourself as a very novice diver simply through all the things you've said. People on here are quite experienced divers and really do know more than you. You will learn and discover that head-mounted video is horrible underwater: you'll be amazed at how much your head moves.
I know what my own head does. I don't have some kind of mental disfunction that makes it wobble about.

I guess you won’t be diving in strong currents barefooted.

More challenging, why not?

You're not a diver then.

Only if by "diver" you mean upper class snob with thousands of dollars of equipment. You're sounding like the photographer in here.

Actually I believe early on in the thread he posted one himself and then continued the interaction....
Because I still have to persuade you I'm correct.

Yep, looking back, he did with post #9. Seems to support the "troll theory"...
No such thing as a troll. They're just folk with a different opinion you can't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom