Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of using frame grabs from video as photos, this is basically a lazy amateurish technique that cannot produce good results.
Wow, nothing condescending or grandiose in that proclamation.

Wow, nothing condescending or grandiose in that proclamation.
Now you see I just saw that as wrong. I don't have a girly hissy fit when someone "insults" me, I just point out their error. And the error is.... as cameras improve in quality, you just don't need a stills camera anymore. In fact on a recent holiday I took (not underwater) shots with my phone and got better results than my much more expensive camera with a much bigger lens, because the CCD in the phone is so sensitive I took shots in what I would consider to be almost dark. Just light enough to not trip over yourself, yet the phone saw it as bright as day, with no flash. The camera just produced a black image.

Speaking of using frame grabs from video as photos, this is basically a lazy amateurish technique that cannot produce good results.
yet what I do... background pictures on computer, not on display at a museum...

Be that as it may, to me, using video frame grabs for still photos is the photography equivalent of using one's hands instead of fins for propulsion.

Do you think we are all trying to make the cover of Alert Diver? For a sizeable percentage of divers, screen grab photos are perfectly adequate for what we wish to do with them. Even with one-touch color correction with Dive+. GASP!

Actually I believe early on in the thread he posted one himself and then continued the interaction....

Yep, looking back, he did with post #9. Seems to support the "troll theory"...
Well, you know what they say, "don't feed ... ".

Be that as it may, to me, using video frame grabs for still photos is the photography equivalent of using one's hands instead of fins for propulsion.

EXACTLY what I would say…if I had spent thousands of dollars on underwater photography equipment.

I don’t take video with the express intent of extracting photos, but out of convenience I will “frame grab” pics occasionally. I’m happy with the results, but I’m not selling my images to the Smithsonian Institute. Although I am absolutely sure they are clamoring for yet another picture of seahorse.

Putting a camera or torch on your hand is obviously useless, as your hands move around a lot with swimming. The head is both stable, and also faces the way you're looking. There is simply no better place for either device.

For those of you with a clue, I found the answer, a mask with a camera mount, a camera mount double adapter, a torch grabber that goes onto a camera mount, and a normal diving torch.

Divers with these goofy contraptions just help the rest of us know who to stay well clear of.

Speaking of using frame grabs from video as photos, this is basically a lazy amateurish technique that cannot produce good results. Leaving aside the differences in resolution and lighting, video requires a certain amount of motion blur to be present in each frame - if it isn't there, then your video looks jerky, at any reasonable frame rate - read up on shutter angles and their effects. For still photographs, however, this is basically anathema - unless you're going for a specific artistic effect (typically a panning shot with long exposure and rear curtain sync flash), any amount of blur will ruin your photo, and even if you are, that's not the kind of blur that you get in a video.

I do this a lot from my GoPro. So the picture below is crap?

GX010700p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom