Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all those things on his head were handheld, there would be difficulties.

In the beginning you dive using your hands like a swimmer. Much like a baby or toddler crawls.

Then you learn how to dive properly, using your legs. Much as you learned to walk and run using your legs.

The fact is your legs are far more powerful than your arms and the fins you wear give you tremendous propulsion: anyone with fins can out swim an olympic swimmer (for a short distance at least).

When you've been diving for a bit with skilled people, not flappy leg divers, you'll find that you can swim forwards, backwards, turn around and generally hold yourself in position. No hands required.

When it comes to torches, they're far better off in your hand(s). Simply because they can be pointed at whatever you're looking at, using your eyes to look in that direction. Also you don't blind people. Most torches are narrow beams anyway, not least for signalling.

In Scotland you'll have variable conditions. Even if the visibility is good there's sometimes lots of tannin in the water which absorbs light. Loch Ness for example: very clear water but the tannin sucks the light.

When filming it's far more common to have your lighting to either side of the camera, separated by a foot or two. This gets less backscatter and is far more effective at getting a decent shot. Torches next to cameras is a very bad thing -- the lighting is horrible.

If you do need lighting on your head, as in caving and the like, you wear a helmet. These make excellent mountings for lights. Putting crap on your mask is just begging bother when it gets knocked off with kelp, the wreck, as you jump in, or should the strap fail.

Finally, you are presenting yourself as a very novice diver simply through all the things you've said. People on here are quite experienced divers and really do know more than you. You will learn and discover that head-mounted video is horrible underwater: you'll be amazed at how much your head moves.

Good luck with your diving.

My hands free set up when working or metal detecting. Wide strong elasticated head band available on Amazon for gopro.

Attachments

• 20221117_133832.jpg
    20221117_133832.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 27
I guess you won’t be diving in strong currents barefooted.

Diving in strong current with ornaments (snorkel, camera, etc.) attached to your mask is another problem. The ornaments would flutter the mask skirt and flood the mask or even rip the mask off your face. I ditched the snorkel after few times diving in currents.

If you are not facing strong current head on, turning your head side way from the current would rip the mask away if the strap is not tight enough. It would be worse with ornaments hanging on it.

I know it won't happen, but it would be hilarious to see someone spaz around trying to swim underwater without fins and at the same time keeping his head steady enough to not produce the worst video filmed in existence.

The video will look like the camera was mounted to a Labrador…that just “mounted” another Labrador!

I don't use fins.

Utter nonsense. Do “eye” spy a Long Island troll?

This is just silly. The OP asked a straightforward question. If someone can give him a straightforward answer he might go away.

This is just silly. The OP asked a straightforward question. If someone can give him a straightforward answer he might go away.

Actually I believe early on in the thread he posted one himself and then continued the interaction....

Yep, looking back, he did with post #9. Seems to support the "troll theory"...

Actually I believe early on in the thread he posted one himself and then continued the interaction....

Yep, looking back, he did with post #9. Seems to support the "troll theory"...
Is that like the "theory" of gravity? We call it a theory, but we know it is something more than "just" a theory.

Speaking of using frame grabs from video as photos, this is basically a lazy amateurish technique that cannot produce good results. Leaving aside the differences in resolution and lighting, video requires a certain amount of motion blur to be present in each frame - if it isn't there, then your video looks jerky, at any reasonable frame rate - read up on shutter angles and their effects. For still photographs, however, this is basically anathema - unless you're going for a specific artistic effect (typically a panning shot with long exposure and rear curtain sync flash), any amount of blur will ruin your photo, and even if you are, that's not the kind of blur that you get in a video.

So are you telling us you have not learned how to cup air bubbles into your face so you don't need a mask?
Anyway you also said you are using your hands to unscrew your camera from your setup with a thumbscrew.
Must be fun putting it back on
I may have a black belt in origami, but I have not mastered the (illegal) black magic of moving air.
Well most good video is taken at 4k. The snap shots are low quality when my TG6 can take photos in 12 megapixels.
4K is 8MP, not far off. And you can obviously buy better video cameras than my 4K one.
You needed a real setup. Bit hard to get an underwater housing for them though.

View attachment 753889View attachment 753890
That looks good enough to attach to a telescope for astronomy.
I'd like to invite you to come dive in Lombok, Bali Indonesia and dive the Manta Pot and other dive sites without fins.

Negative entry required for the dives and you need a fast descent. Sometimes the swells are more than 14 feet and wind speeds of 25mph kicking up the water. Be fun trying to get back to the boat without fins. :)
I like fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom