Top 10 rebreather freindly dive destination.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I will be diving CCR and it is getting too cold to dive in Chicago. What are my optiions? If you could try to give me your top 10 to plan my future trips I would appreciate it.

I am mostly looking for land based operations. If you could list the locations and dive operations that are rebreather freindly and who to conact it would be great. Any must do dives and cost you are aware of will help with the planning.

Tnt

So far I've only sorted out the places I want to go to:

1. ProTech in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
2. Cortez Club in La Paz, Mexico
3. Pro Tech Belize (San Pedro IIRC)

4. Either Dive Tech or Sunset Divers on Grand Cayman

caveseeker7:

Caveseeker,

Have you ever been to Cortez Club? IF so where do you recomend to stay? I was thinking of going in late January or Feb.

TNT

I wish ... no doe.

But I've met Luke who runs the rebreather end of things, as well as Sal with whom he taggs hammerheads for Sal's research (it's Sal's prism featured on Ron Micjan's website - contact him, he's been there).
Both good guys who do intresting diving, to say the least.

Same with Playa Del Carmen, haven't been there but met Matt who dives the breathers.

I was hoping to meet Roni (ProTech Belize) at DEMA but missed him. Excellent rep though.

herman:
You might want to give Walt at Rec Tek on Bonaire a try. Nice guy and at least from his web site, pretty well set up to handle rebreather users' needs.
http://www.rectekscuba.com/

With 2 trip to Bonaire, I used the Plaza on the first one and Walt on the second one. Both can help you with everything you need.
Paul

caveseeker7:

I can recommend ProTech in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Dove with them 2X this past year. Ist was cave training, 2nd was pleasure.....both cave and ocean. A great bunch of people, have O2, He, and 'lime (just check on the amount of 'lime on hand).

I just returned from diving an Inspiration in Turks & Caicos last week. Big Blue / O2 Technical Diving were terrific. Small groups of divers and extended bottom times, I kept my times to 70 minutes as the other divers were all on single tank O/C but I'm sure you could do 90 minutes without any problems. Excellent support for the Inspiration, Sorb and O2 no problems. One day one of their Instructors dived CCR with me, other days they would pretty much let me dive my own profiles with a divemaster in the water on O/C hovering somewhere above should the need arise. They also were able to supply bail-out cylinders.

Their larger boat was awaiting parts so we were just diving near by sites, but to assure that I got quality and diversity they also set me up with Flamingo Divers on 2 days so I was able to dive some of the West Caicos walls. Flamingo is also a great operation but they don't have the consumables.

I have also had very good experiences with Sunset House and DiveTech on Grand Cayman. Both times I dived CCR at ALL rebreather events so I can't vouch for diving on their day boats but my sense is they are both accommodating.

Check out the AP Valves site for a list of "Friendly" resorts.

Doug

Ok I have checked out of the above suggestions and thanks but nothing is really working with my schedule. Does any one have a Florida or Bahammas location thats not to bad to dive around early Febuary? I looked at La Paz best diving is Sept- NOV. I was just at the Caymans and hope to go back in May. The person I'm diving with is going to Cozumel in Dec so Playa isn't much of change. My top ten dream list is short only 6 locations 2 in the wind blown Caymans. Please help can't go all winter with out diving.

TNT

tnt2020:
Please help can't go all winter with out diving. TNT

Call ProTech Belize. Contact them through their web-site:

www.protechbelize.com

They can help you with accomodations. It is great diving, either Tech or Rec, and easy to get to.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom