Toothpaste type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaS82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just bought my first mask. I know you aren't supposed to use gel toothpastes to clean off the residue. I've got plain white crest paste but "enamel protection," so it's got a little potassium nitrate in the ingredients. Is that okay? Will it harm the mask?
My other option in the house is crest complete, looks to be 2/3 paste witha gel stripe mixed in. Anyone know if either of those are okay?

Or you can quickly flash the glass with a lighter, it burns off any residue. Just only for a second at a time.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

A lighter works much better. Play the flame around the interior surface until you see soot. Wash the residue with Dawn dish detergent. Dry with a plain paper towel. Go dive fog free. Repeat occasionally as needed.

N

Just bought my first mask. I know you aren't supposed to use gel toothpastes to clean off the residue. I've got plain white crest paste but "enamel protection," so it's got a little potassium nitrate in the ingredients. Is that okay? Will it harm the mask?
My other option in the house is crest complete, looks to be 2/3 paste witha gel stripe mixed in. Anyone know if either of those are okay?

I use whatever toothpaste I happen to have. They're all very similar and contain very fine abrasive and a little detergent. You can certainly try the gel or whatever you have. Nothing bad will happen and it will probably work just fine.

What you don't want is anything with "flavor crystals" or anything that looks or feels like it might be scratchy.

The other option is to go back to the store where you bought it and tell them they should give you a bottle of "mask and slate" cleaner for free, since you bought the expensive mask from them.

Although I know people who do it, I'd be very wary of the "lighter trick". If you heat tempered glass unevenly, you'll be holding a hand full of glass bits that used to be a mask.

flots.

Although I know people who do it, I'd be very wary of the "lighter trick". If you heat tempered glass unevenly, you'll be holding a hand full of glass bits that used to be a mask.

flots.

Have you ever had this happen? The idea is not to put a flame thrower on it until it is red hot. Unless you can demonstrate this, a mask lens turning into glass bit from using a lighter on it, it is just hear say. It takes about 15 to 30 seconds of playing the flame in circles over the glass until you see soot form. If you use a propane torch you are on your own, nobody is saying to do that and until you have used the lighter method you really do not know. The silicone skirt will not be harmed by the lighter flame unless you hold it in one spot.

N

Toothpaste is not what it used to be. Most brands have taken out the abrasives that did the job in cleaning a mask. I don't know anout the above cited lighter/flame trick, does not sound workable to me. What I have found to be great for getting masks clean is Glass Stove Top Cleaner. This is the stuff made to get burned on cooking spills off expensive glass cook tops. A bottle costs about $5 and will last a long time. Also good for cleaning slates and other gear. I've saved the small bottles from the expensive mask/slate cleaners and refilled with the stove top cleaner, small bottle in my save a dive kit. Now recommend this to my students and customers in the shop. To give credit, I got this idea from out Atomic Rep as we were having a bit of a problem with their masks continually fogging.

Go to the dollar store and buy the cheap paste style toothpaste that's made in china. I wouldn't put it in my mouth but it works great on masks. Polishes up glass stove tops real nice as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you can demonstrate this, a mask lens turning into glass bit from using a lighter on it, it is just hear say.

I don't especially care if you believe me or not, however the glass manufacturers disagree with you.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom