Today's OW Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal observation here with absolutely nothing to base it on... a lot of the dropout is from people who learn to dive for one vacation trip... like a honeymoon... and then just don't go back to it.

The guy who taught us to dive and I discussed this once... about his frustration at teaching so many people who just wanted to go to the blue water one particular trip and dive, and then that was it for them...

Yeah, that rings true. But that person also was me and somehow I got the bug. But I do agree that your appraisal is likely correct.

I wonder whether if people were really taught well more often whether the bug might be more catching??? Your got instinct though feels about right. Although I'm also fairly confident many people drop out because they don't feel comfortable and that I put down 90% (finger in air) to poor or rushed training.

Bob, I must commend you on a wonderful attitude towards training/education. It's nice to see someone so passionate about it and in terms of no advertising - well hey, word of mouth is the best recommendation huh? Can I come along with Sabbath? :)

J

Actually, when the PADI OW skills are truly "mastered" ... meaning the diver can comfortably and repeatably do them ... the end result is a very well-trained OW diver.

see that's what I thought. So how come there are so many NOT well trained divers out there?
Is it possible that it may be something to the old: "is the instructor not the agency" ???

oh no... did I type that outloud?

see that's what I thought. So how come there are so many NOT well trained divers out there?
Is it possible that it may be something to the old: "is the instructor not the agency" ???

I think, and this is just me spitballing, is that there are so many poorly trained divers out there because there was simply not enough time spent by them in training.

It just plain takes time to develop skills... it takes repetition to be good.

If the courses had twice as much water time, divers coming out of them would be MUCH better than they are in my humble opinion.

When I got done with my OW, it was in the fall... we only had a little time to dive before it got too cold for the gear we owned. We took our instructor's offer about coming back to the pool to work on our skills any time there was a class going on... so we spent many weekends over the winter in the pool working on the basics... buoyancy, mask clearing, buoyancy, self rescue, buoyancy and buoyancy.

If you can get to a point where you can nail your buoyancy perfectly in 6-8 feet of water, then doing it in 50 feet of water is cake.

The DM's and instructors, being who they are, couldn't help coming over and helping us during breaks in the class by giving us tips and further instruction.

By the time it was warm enough for spring, we had basically put in 50 extra hours in the pool... and it made all the difference in the world to how we were able to dive in the spring even though we were still newbies.

Time on task is the key. IMHO.

I'm reluctant to be too quick to blame the trainer/educator/instructor.

Yes, the quality of the training may be poor, but if a course is available for $400 for 4 days to get 'qualified' and another costs $800 for 2 weeks to get 'qualified', even though the training for 2 weeks is likely to be better and more complete, Option 1 will win out for most people. People, in general, appear more price than quality conscious. Sad but true. And if you're competitor is under cutting you on this basis and winning then your only response can be to cut your costs which usually equates to cutting standards/time.

Hence why it's honourable and wonderful that there are still great instructors out there and I'd love one day to train with one.

J

Is a good thing I'm not an instructor. I wouldn't deal with anyone that is not already comfortable in the water. Not necessarily breathing underwater, or swimming 100 laps but just enjoying the water. I mean ...some students sweat the task of having to float for x minutes.
How about some Parcheesi for them? Not everyone belong in the ocean, and that's ok.

Instead instructors look for "tricks" to have their students do the skills... I bet that takes time.

I wonder if parachuting instructors try to teach people that is afraid of heights how to jump.

One day somebody will put this into perspective. It's not just about diving it's about society. It's always somebody elses fault.

But if you want a scape goat, then it's whoever invented the term "recreational scuba". Kind of goes with "recreational d***** and recreational s**".

One day somebody will put this into perspective. It's not just about diving it's about society. It's always somebody elses fault.

Too true.. but how to turn the clock back??? We're a planet (or developed nations certainly) of spoilt, prissy brats.

But if you want a scape goat, then it's whoever invented the term "recreational scuba". Kind of goes with "recreational d***** and recreational s**".

I'm taking it that the final stars after the 'd' mean dollars. Cos that's surely the reason.

I wonder if parachuting instructors try to teach people that is afraid of heights how to jump.
Yes, I do. And the reason I wanted to jump in the frst place was because I was scared of heights and scared of planes. Conquer your fears and live your dreams. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom