Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any advice on stuff to pack for Tobermory?

I heard shoes are a good thing to bring on the boat. Will we need sweat pants and hoodies on the boat? Food for the boat? A thermos for hot chocolate? Cups for hot chocolate?

Are SMB's and spools required, or just a good idea? Dive lights and strobes?

Steve_Dives:
Any advice on stuff to pack for Tobermory?

I heard shoes are a good thing to bring on the boat. Will we need sweat pants and hoodies on the boat? Food for the boat? A thermos for hot chocolate? Cups for hot chocolate?

Are SMB's and spools required, or just a good idea? Dive lights and strobes?

Before I forget, you need a dive flag for the shore dives.
Always take warm clothes for the boat. We really aren't on the boat long enough to need to eat but a snack is always nice. I bring plenty of saltines because I need them. Something warm to drink would be a good idea for the wetsuit divers, nothing is provided on the boat.

You really don't need a strobe but a small dive light is nice for peeking into or under the wrecks especially on the Niagara II where you can penetrate the hold if you wish.

SMB's and spools are not required, some sort of signalling device is always nice just in case. We did use my spool to put a jump line from the buoy to the Arabia and that caused all the excitement on that dive last year. This year I'm not taking the spool :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm not liking the look of the 10-day forecast

High 60's-low 70's and windy through Tuesday. I'm really hoping the wind lays down before we start the boat dives or we might be blown off.

Ber Rabbit:
Before I forget, you need a dive flag for the shore dives.

Is one flag required per buddy pair, or can one flag cover all divers within some distance of the flag? Red flag or blue? Oh, and is it possible to use weight to "anchor" the flag in place while we swim around and look at other stuff? Do I ask too many questions? Is it annoying? Are we there yet? :D

Ber Rabbit:
We did use my spool to put a jump line from the buoy to the Arabia and that caused all the excitement on that dive last year. This year I'm not taking the spool :wink:

Was that the dive you were narced and winding yourself into a giant twine ball? Hmm, a ball of twine with bunny ears sticking out the top - that's a funny mental image! Unless that was caught on film, I think you should run the spool again! :D

Ber Rabbit:
I'm not liking the look of the 10-day forecast

High 60's-low 70's and windy through Tuesday. I'm really hoping the wind lays down before we start the boat dives or we might be blown off.

Afraid of a little wave action??? :D We can compete in a number of categories. Volume (both audible and fluid measure). Distance. And everyone's favorite, the least graceful water exit. :rofl3:

Steve_Dives:
Is one flag required per buddy pair, or can one flag cover all divers within some distance of the flag? Red flag or blue? Oh, and is it possible to use weight to "anchor" the flag in place while we swim around and look at other stuff? Do I ask too many questions? Is it annoying? Are we there yet? :D

Red dive flag :D I can grab one from the university for you if you don't have one but you have to find somewhere in your car to haul it. You're supposed to be within 50 feet of the flag and if I can find some suckers....errr I mean volunteers to tow the flag while Bruce and I lead the dive I'm game to add divers to mine but we HAVE to stay together. We only need it for the shore dives so a small group could manage with one flag if you volunteer to tow it.

Anchoring the flag isn't something we usually do because it's farther than 50 feet from one wreck to another in that general vicinity and for the lighthouse or anchor dive we're moving along the wall so the flag goes too.

Steve_Dives:
Was that the dive you were narced and winding yourself into a giant twine ball? Hmm, a ball of twine with bunny ears sticking out the top - that's a funny mental image! Unless that was caught on film, I think you should run the spool again! :D
Yes...there will be no spool, that's what caused us to drop a $1200 camera.

Steve_Dives:
Afraid of a little wave action??? :D We can compete in a number of categories. Volume (both audible and fluid measure). Distance. And everyone's favorite, the least graceful water exit. :rofl3:
If there's too much wave action the boats don't go out. The Joseph Simon doesn't have a wave height restriction to leave port BUT she's so big she'll rip the mooring balls right off the wrecks if the waves are big. Wind direction can really limit your choice of dive sites.

There is no least graceful water exit, the boat has a platform that lowers into the water. You just sit on it and ride it up, I think 2-3 divers can ride at a time :D

Ber Rabbit:
Red dive flag :D I can grab one from the university for you if you don't have one but you have to find somewhere in your car to haul it.

I don't have one. And if I can borrow one all the better. Can I also borrow a spool? All I have is a thumb spool, which might get to be a pain. At least I could only get tangled in about 70 feet worth of cord! :D

I don't think Trucker Girl will mind holding the dive flag for 12 hours. :D And if the weather is nice we can put it right out the sun roof!

HEADS UP!

A closet dork diver PMed me and will be diving on Sunday. He/she/it will be leaving us an encoded message in the area of the Alice G in the area of the boiler. He/she/it will be covering it with rocks so that anyone who dives there after him/her/it and before we dive there will not snatch up the secret coded message.

I think it might be written in invisible ink, too.

How cool is that?

The code will require us to use a PADI RDP, which, conveniently, I have. :D

Ber - regarding 'stuff to pack'.

Does the boat have a cabin that will keep dry things dry? Or are actual dry bags needed?

Are there crates on the boat to stow our wet gear during transport? Or should we bring a gear bag to throw under the benches?

Do people want to share a medium to large cooler or handle it individually?

Just a couple thoughts.
P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom