Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Scubaboard crash ate the original post so I'm putting it up again :D

We are doing a "get to know everyone/get recent deep experience" dive Aug 18-19 at Gilboa for those who are able to attend including people who aren't planning to go on the trip but would like to join us. We will be doing at least one deep dive each day (roughly 110 feet). Steve and I are working on a menu so bring your favorite dish to share, we'll have the main course :eat:

TOBERMORY, ONTARIO TRIP
August 27-31, 2007

Important note: Each person is responsible for their own transportation and
for making their own hotel/camping and DIVE BOAT reservation. We still have room on the boat so call if you want to go.
Questions? Call Amber or Bruce at 937-884-9119 (home) or Amber’s cell (937)
902-1080

HOW TO SIGN UP:
Call G&S Watersports at 1-519-596-2200
Tell them you are with Bruce Bloom’s group
Give a credit card number to hold your spot
Contact Amber or Bruce and let them know you signed up

AREA HOTELS (incomplete list):
Harbourside Motel 1-519-596-2422 (Amber & Bruce staying here)
Coach House Inn 1-519-596-2361
Bruce Anchor Motel 1-519-596-2555
Camping is available in the area

NOTE: All prices are in Canadian dollars
All divers must purchase a permit to dive the Marine Park
$5 per day or $20 for annual permit good until March 31, 2008
Tank fills are $7 (air)
You can sign up for all of the dives or just a few

ITINERARY:
Monday Aug 27 Drive to Tobermory (approx 12 hours)

Tuesday Aug 28 Register at Marine Park 9:00am
Shore dives: Harbor Tugs then lighthouse or anchor.

Wednesday Aug 29
AM boat dives tentative sites:
“Niagara II” and “Caves”--$65
PM boat dives tentative sites:
“Minch” and “Sweepstakes”/ “City of Grand Rapids”--$60

Thursday Aug 30
AM boat dives tentative sites, choice to be determined by weather:
Choice #1: “San Jacinto” / “City of Cleveland”--$85
OR Choice #2: “King” / “Newaygo”--$60
PM no dives scheduled, boat ride to Flowerpot Island for hiking
(Feel free to book dives with the shop if you prefer)

Friday Aug 31
“Arabia” and “Wetmore”--$60

**We are heading home after the AM dives, please feel free to stay and dive
all weekend if you wish. Right now I know two people plan to dive on Saturday.

Ber

Ber Rabbit:
The Scubaboard crash ate the original post so I'm putting it up again :D

We are doing a "get to know everyone/get recent deep experience" dive Aug 18-19 at Gilboa for those who are able to attend including people who aren't planning to go on the trip but would like to join us. We will be doing at least one deep dive each day (roughly 110 feet). Steve and I are working on a menu so bring your favorite dish to share, we'll have the main course :eat:

TOBERMORY, ONTARIO TRIP
August 27-31, 2007

Important note: Each person is responsible for their own transportation and
for making their own hotel/camping and DIVE BOAT reservation. We have a
hold on the boat until July 31 so call before then if you want to go.
Questions? Call Amber or Bruce at 937-884-9119 (home) or Amber’s cell (937)
902-1080

HOW TO SIGN UP:
Call G&S Watersports at 1-519-596-2200
Tell them you are with Bruce Bloom’s group
Give a credit card number to hold your spot
Contact Amber or Bruce and let them know you signed up

AREA HOTELS (incomplete list):
Harbourside Motel 1-519-596-2422 (Amber & Bruce staying here)
Coach House Inn 1-519-596-2361
Bruce Anchor Motel 1-519-596-2555
Camping is available in the area

NOTE: All prices are in Canadian dollars
All divers must purchase a permit to dive the Marine Park
$5 per day or $20 for annual permit good until March 31, 2008
Tank fills are $7 (air)
You can sign up for all of the dives or just a few

ITINERARY:
Monday Aug 27 Drive to Tobermory (approx 12 hours)

Tuesday Aug 28 Register at Marine Park 9:00am
Shore dives: Harbor Tugs then lighthouse or anchor.

Wednesday Aug 29
“Niagara II” and “Caves”--$65
PM boat dives tentative sites:
“Minch” and “Sweepstakes”/ “City of Grand Rapids”--$60

Thursday Aug 30
AM boat dives tentative sites, choice to be determined by weather:
Choice #1: “San Jacinto” / “City of Cleveland”--$85
OR Choice #2: “King” / “Newaygo”--$60
PM no dives scheduled, boat ride to Flowerpot Island for hiking
(Feel free to book dives with the shop if you prefer)

Friday Aug 31
“Arabia” and “Wetmore”--$60

**We are heading home after the AM dives, please feel free to stay and dive
all weekend if you wish. Right now I know two people plan to dive on Saturday.

Ber

Count me in for both the practice dive at Gilboa and the Tobermory trip. However, I'll probably be 1 day late to Tobermory (like last year), but may be able to change that as we get closer.

Ken

GRRRRR! Now this figures, I get a call yesterday and my 20 year high school reunion is Aug 18. I may be skipping out on y'all for a few hours on Saturday but I'll do the deep dive in the morning and maybe a shallower dive then trot off to the reunion and be back before the night dive...priorities ya know LOL!
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm still good for the Gilboa weekend and the Toby trip.

If anyone is diving between now and the Gilboa practice, I'd love to get out. It has been about 10 days, and there's nothing more annoying than dry scuba gear! :D

Ber - I didn't see that Carribbean thing you asked about on my trip through Krogers last night. I will check chez Meijers when I track down the dessert. I'll be back at SODA tonight and at the Y Thursday about 5'ish - so if we run into each other at either place, it be YOU that is stalking ME! :mooner: :rofl3:

Spoke to a guy tonight regarding diving Gilboa's deep side, which was where he spent his Thursday. *grumbling* He said Mike is looking at log books, looking for deep cards or other advanced cards, and will might want to see redundant air sources if you are diving a single 80. I checked the Gilboa webpage and did not see any formal requirements beyond the usual deep plan, so the official requirements remain to be seen. Sounds like bringing any cards you have earned and your log would be a good idea. If you have redundant air sources or a submarine, all the better!

Steve_Dives:
Spoke to a guy tonight regarding diving Gilboa's deep side, which was where he spent his Thursday. *grumbling* He said Mike is looking at log books, looking for deep cards or other advanced cards, and will might want to see redundant air sources if you are diving a single 80. I checked the Gilboa webpage and did not see any formal requirements beyond the usual deep plan, so the official requirements remain to be seen. Sounds like bringing any cards you have earned and your log would be a good idea. If you have redundant air sources or a submarine, all the better!

I can sling an extra Al80 for the deep dive . . .

Just make sure I unhook it from the BC before I climb up the steps! :D

Steve_Dives:

Those rules have been in affect at Gilboa for several years.

Redundant air source: What size tank you are using doesn't matter - you are required (and should want to have) a redundant air source.

Certification: An advanced or deep card has been required unless you were doing a class dive with an instructor.

Log book: I'm not sure about the log book other than they probably want to see your most recent experience. It used to be that if you had several deep dives under your belt you could dive without the card if you proved it with your log book. However, I know a friend of mine that has dove the deep side for years finally wound up getting his advanced card a couple years ago. Despite being a very competent diver and having near 600 dives Gilboa and a few charter operators stopped letting anyone do certain dives without the certification.

"Diving on the deep side requires a "DEEP DIVE PLAN", proper training, and equipment."

Not all that specific but it certainly allows the quarry owner to make the final decision in his & the diver's best interest.

Paula

Notso_Ken:
I can sling an extra Al80 for the deep dive . . .

Just make sure I unhook it from the BC before I climb up the steps! :D

Actually, I was planning to hook my 40 onto you so I wouldn't have to carry it up the steps! :D I guess we'll have to resort to plan B, we both hook our tanks to Ber! :rofl3:

Steve_Dives:
Actually, I was planning to hook my 40 onto you so I wouldn't have to carry it up the steps! :D I guess we'll have to resort to plan B, we both hook our tanks to Ber! :rofl3:

Just try it...tank boy :D

I sling an 80 as well. My instructor card will get us in and we can do it as a class if nothing else. Most of the people going have deep experience and I'll get the others up to speed.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom