Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TG - Nah, Ken was reading something techy. It's weird posting a reply to you when you're sitting at the next table. :D

Oh- I thought you were at least doing that from your room! That's funny- :dork2:

scubamoose, in case I forgot to hit send on my PM, two of the (younger!) guys are thinking about doing a shore dive to the Alice G to look for the REAL treasure map tomorrow. Us old farts are GOING HOME! I sent your details to one of the pups!

It was worth a shot! It's possible someone else found it and left the red cloth note? We found it right where your description said... perhaps someone else was lurking here on SB and found it before we got there, and had a pre-written note? That's what I'll choose to think until I find out otherwise!

Good night!

Apparently, nobody is reading this thread other than us dorks.

WE'RE HOME! Okay, I'M home, but Ken and Steve at least left and haven't come back (they may be stranded in a corn field, but they aren't in my front lawn- wait, let me check... nope, all clear). Ber and Bruce should be in Indiana at the cabin. Paula is still up in Toby. Adam and Brian left ahead of us and we didn't see them sitting on the side of the road (though I was asleep for about an hour, and I wouldn't put it past Ken to just keep driving...).

Hey! I'm some as safe and sound as can be expected. Now for some much needed sleep! I'm gonna try to sleep past 6:30AM. Hope it works out for me! :D

Sounds like you folks had a great time - sorry you didn't find the message (honest - I did leave it).

Anyways - I was at the local dive shop last night and it was the first chance I had to talk to the owner since we had been up in Toby the past weekend. He had stayed a couple extra days to spend some time with his son. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "So did you get some more diving in on Monday and Tuesday"
Him: "Not on Monday but we dove the tugs again on Tuesday"
Me: "Good dive?"
Him: "Not bad - my ankle was killing me (he tore his achilles tendon about a month ago and the dumb *** won't take the time to let it heal) since the entry with all the rocks made it tough. Actually we basically had the site to ourselves. There was one group gettting out just as we were going in but otherwise it was just us. I think the group was Americans - fairly friendly too"
Me: I'm thinking ... middle of the week in toby, group of Americans (friendly ones too) Trucker Girl said they were doing the tugs on Tuesday ... could it be just a coincidence? Only one way to find out for sure: "Did one of them happen to have a pair of rabbit ears on?"
Him: Look of absolute disbelieve "Yeah, how did you know?"

Glad you had fun - hopefully I will eventually get a chance to dive with you. And for the anchor try: The simple way to find the anchor Sounds like you folks were a bit shallow

Good morning all. I'm having a nice slow morning. Still woke up at around 6:30 :shakehead: , but I haven't hefted or lugged a single thing! :59: :D

Our favorite trucker asked for a summary of dive profile info on the ride home, and I figured this would be as good a place as any. All these figures were recorded by my dive computer. Times include the descent, ascent, and all deep stops and safety stops - that's how my computer records.

The Tugs
47 feet, 45 minutes, 64F surface, 61F min temp

The Anchor
47 feet, 43 minutes, 65F surface, 59F min temp

Niagra II
84 feet, 30 minutes, 64F surface, 54F min temp

The Caves
43 feet, 34 minutes, 65F surface, 62F min temp

The Minch
44 feet, 47 minutes, 65F Surface, 63F min temp

The Sweepstakes
25 feet, 40 minutes, 66F surface, 64F min temp

San Jacinto
79 feet, 24 minutes, 62F surface, 59F min temp

City of Cleveland
26 feet, 45 minutes, 63F surface, 61F min temp

The Arabia
92 feet, 26 minutes, 64F surface, 52F min temp

The Wetmore
19 feet, 42 minutes, 65F surface, 64F min temp

The intent of providing this data is so my buddies can compare dive computer results, or so that anyone diving there soon has recent water temperatures. The depths and times should not be used as template dive plans; doing so could result in injury or death. Dive within your training, and receive appropriate instruction for new environments.

It is always surprising to find a friendly group of Americans... :D

We gave up on the anchor because Ber and her husband knew we had overshot and were at the turnaround point on air. So... another day...

Not another day anytime soon.

It's nice to be warm, you know. I spent 4 days huddled beneath 2 sweatshirts, a jacket, jeans and thermal socks. I even borrowed diver_paula's winter gloves! Did I mention I chill easily?

Thanks for the kudos, moose. :D

CDNScubaMoose:
Me: I'm thinking ... middle of the week in toby, group of Americans (friendly ones too) Trucker Girl said they were doing the tugs on Tuesday ... could it be just a coincidence? Only one way to find out for sure: "Did one of them happen to have a pair of rabbit ears on?"
Him: Look of absolute disbelieve "Yeah, how did you know?"

Too funny! My computer said I exited the Tugs site at 10:03AM on Tuesday. They had a van at the dive site? Did his son run up to check that the van was locked before they went in? Boy had shoulder length hair?

What did they think of the vis that day?

Steve_Dives - sounds like a pretty good description. Van would have said "Red Devil Scuba" on it.

They said the vis was about the same as what we had during the weekend. Due to the lake turning over the vis was about 20' less then what we are used to for Tobermory. Plus side was that it sounds like at least on the bottom the water temperature was higher. You folks had 52-53 on the arabia. Basically unheard of - normally low 40's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom