Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber! Where you hiding out?

Show up drunk? No. Get drunk on the drive up and moon the mounties, possibility. :D Seriously though, I won't have a drop until we're in Toby.

Good to hear A & B will be joining. So we'll have a pair of young'ins hanging around with the old farts!

Steve_Dives:
Ber! Where you hiding out?

Show up drunk? No. Get drunk on the drive up and moon the mounties, possibility. :D Seriously though, I won't have a drop until we're in Toby.

Good to hear A & B will be joining. So we'll have a pair of young'ins hanging around with the old farts!

Hey! U speakin' for yourself?

Well, I went to the quarry on Saturday then came home and went on what was basically a double date :D Today we went down and toured the Moraine Assembly Plant, they had a big shindig for the public down there. Now I'm packing and finishing the laundry :D

OH and I talked to a couple guys at Gilboa who had just come back from Tobermory on Sunday. They said the wait at the border is 2-4 hours to get into the US...I'm really hoping it won't be as bad on a Friday as it was on a Sunday, cross your fingers! They said the line was backed up 17 kilometers so get off at the exit before then to gas up, pee and grab some snacks (and maybe a good book).
Ber :lilbunny:

Just got back from Toby - here is your latest condition update:

Last week the lake did turn over so it is a wee bit colder now. Surface temps were in the low 60's. I was stuck in the top 30' so didn't get a chance to go looking for a thermocline but talked to some friends who dove the Niagra II and even on the deck it was still in the 50's so is sounds like for the most part only one thermocline will be in play.

Vis - 40-50'. A lot less when the new divers churn up the bottom (but we were all there once upon a time). That said - the OW classes probably won't be as many during the week.

We camped for the last two nights and it wasn't too bad - bit chilly last night but an extra blanket was all it took.

Anyways - have fun

Ber Rabbit:
OH and I talked to a couple guys at Gilboa who had just come back from Tobermory on Sunday. They said the wait at the border is 2-4 hours to get into the US...I'm really hoping it won't be as bad on a Friday as it was on a Sunday, cross your fingers! They said the line was backed up 17 kilometers so get off at the exit before then to gas up, pee and grab some snacks (and maybe a good book).

Definitely worse at the end of a weekend / holiday. You shouldn't have as much of a wait given you'll be crossing back in on Friday. However, there may be some added traffic as it's also a Canadian holiday so traffic will be in both directions. & the truckers will want to beat the holiday rush.

If you haven't already planned to do so, make sure you take the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron/Sarnia. STAY away from the Detroit border crossings.

Most importantly! DO NOT cross the border with Mitten Diver. He'd PO'd the horticulture agent and we subjected to a RANDOM horticulture search. We had to unload both the van and trailer with gear for 5 divers before the agents started their search. Ughhh... makes for an even longer drive home from Brockville.

Paula

Thanks for the update! I checked my logbook for last year and we had 66 to the first thermocline and 55 down to 60 feet so it sounds comparable.

Wetsuit divers, bring something to wrap up in between dives! Remember, you can NEVER pack too many warm clothes :wink: (Hats and mittens are nice to have along just in case).

Thanks Paula, Port Huron is where we always cross and it's also where the 2-4 hour back-up was LOL! I can't imagine the Detroit crossing!

You may also want to consider the ferry crossing at Marine City to Sombra. Its just a small ferry but usually its a much smaller lineup.

I received this message in my inbox- it comes from an aged, peg-legged scuba diver from days of old...
:pirate5:

Thar be a treasure map on the vessel known as the Alice G when she floated on the waves tops. Now she sleeps below but the treasure still be yours should ye find it by the boiler under thy square rock.

I swear I'm not making this up...

:arrr: :pirate: :pirate1: :pirate2: :pirate3: :pirate4: :pirate6: :icosm07:

Back
Top Bottom