Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like we have plenty of floats then. Some of the wrecks out of the water? Looks like we'll do the Alice G (I bet she's under) and go hunt for that wascally anchor :D

BTW, here's a picture of the storage area on the Joseph Simon. There is a shelf under the "built in" on the right. Notice the holes along the bottom under the seats, don't set small stuff there or it will fall/wash overboard.
Ber :lilbunny:

Does anyone know what the water levels are like at Tobe this year? I was mentioned to a friend that the plan was to dive the tugs and he said 'Well, maybe one of them'. Huh? He said only one was totally under water. That the water was so low the others were sticking above the surface.

Not much different then last year - all the tugs are submerged with the exception of the one closest to the harbour (standing at the steps - furthest to the left, furthest away from the Alice G). The bow is above the water but its been like that for the last 3 years at least. Officially I think the water level has dropped about 2" so you should have no problem diving the tugs. Lighthouse is getting to be more of a pain since the ledge is slowly getting shallower and if there is any wave action it can be a "unique" experience.

CDNScubaMoose:
Lighthouse is getting to be more of a pain since the ledge is slowly getting shallower and if there is any wave action it can be a "unique" experience.

LOL! We didn't realize the ledge wasn't on private property when we dove the lighthouse. You want to talk about a "unique" experience, try climbing the rocks on the side of the lighthouse that faces The Anchor in gear while trying not to smash your camera and wrestling with the flag.

LOL! We didn't realize the ledge wasn't on private property when we dove the lighthouse. You want to talk about a "unique" experience, try climbing the rocks on the side of the lighthouse that faces The Anchor in gear while trying not to smash your camera and wrestling with the flag.
Ber

Might I suggest signing up for a "Discover Local Diving":D

Best Lighthouse story was last September - had I DMC who was a bit overeager to help out. I had one student that we needed to do a compass run with - asked the DMC to help get all the other students out of the water (there was a DM helping as well). I went and did the compass run. As I came up with the student the DMC was on the shore and had gotten someone to open up his dry suit for him. He helped the last student out while I got the flag. As I came up he came back out to the edge of the ledge to get the flag, grabbed the flag and tried to lift it out (there was a bit more weight to it) and he falls in. I still remember that scream.:rofl3:

CDNScubaMoose:
Might I suggest signing up for a "Discover Local Diving":D

LOL! We had tried that when we did the Tugs since it had been so many years since my hubby had been to Toby. We were told the Alice G was in 40 feet of water :confused: Needless to say we found that wreck by luck on the way back after hitting our turn pressure at 40 feet and not finding it. I had a couple books that described the area and we decided to trust the books instead of the locals LOL! Unfortunately the book description of the lighthouse entry wasn't great but it very specifically said NOT to go on private property. There were no other divers out when we were diving but there was a family swimming from the ledge leading us to believe that was private property :dork2:

We tried to get a local to help us find the anchor but he said he'd already been imbibing or he would. He did give us some good directions that I managed to screw up royally causing us to miss the target...this year we should find the elusive thing :D

CDNScubaMoose:
Best Lighthouse story was last September - had I DMC who was a bit overeager to help out. I had one student that we needed to do a compass run with - asked the DMC to help get all the other students out of the water (there was a DM helping as well). I went and did the compass run. As I came up with the student the DMC was on the shore and had gotten someone to open up his dry suit for him. He helped the last student out while I got the flag. As I came up he came back out to the edge of the ledge to get the flag, grabbed the flag and tried to lift it out (there was a bit more weight to it) and he falls in. I still remember that scream.:rofl3:
That's TOOOOO funny!

Here's a picture of my husband beside the spot we chose for an entry at the lighthouse. Can you see the "you're nuts right?" look in his eyes?

diver_paula:
Bruce at the Bruce!

:D How cool is that? :D

Here's a picture of my husband beside the spot we chose for an entry at the lighthouse. Can you see the "you're nuts right?" look in his eyes?
Ber

I'm pretty sure that the spot he is standing is our usually entry point. But we normally lower our gear down the "steps" and gear up by sitting on the last step. But if you want to play "What are/were you thinking at Tobermory when about to do the lighthouse dive" then here is my entry:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/80487/cat/500/perpage/9/ppuser/66408 (Sorry - still trying to figure out how to insert links to pics like the rest of you SB pros).

Picture was taken last year after a wild night of a wind storm - I learned that doubles are meant for boat diving, not shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom