to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Well, he explained why they're not DIR, I should have said. I guess it makes sense if you're diving places that don't require much walking on uneven terrain, but I believe the idea is that the laces can (and do) come undone and present a major entanglement hazard, and the can interfere with some kicks. You'll have to pry mine off my cold dead feet though, they're way better than wetsuit booties for walking on rocks.. and infinitely better than Turbo Soles or anything like that.
Interesting. I can understand that. I always double knot the laces and secure them underneath the velcro straps. I would think that yes, they do present a chance for entanglement, but the way I've secured it, I'd think the chances are minimal.

I have a DUI with the Turbo Soles and compared to my last two drysuits with well fitting neoprene booties... I hate the Turbo soles, I may as well have bare feet with my Jets

Geez... how long does it take to put on a pair of running shoes? It's not like you unlace & lace em up from scratch every time. :wink:

But seriously, rock boots... er... rock! :bang:

And as for them coming untied & getting tangled up in things... sorry..... never had that problem either.

I think Pug just needs the extra time to put on his DIR-make up. :devil:

If I'm not mistaken, I think my rockboots have a big red sticker on them that says: Warning, Not DIR! Althought the one on the right boot is backwards. :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
... that is the question.

I'll be ordering a custom CLX450 next week, and have to make a decision.

To date, my suits have all come with regular drysuit boots. Now I have to decide whether to go with rock boots, or just get the soles.

What do you DUI users use? What do you like/dislike about the rock boots? Soles?

I'm leaning toward the rock boots ... but wouldn't mind some added perspective before I make up my mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive a Bare XCD2 with Trek Boots and like them alot. I've got bad knees and believe it or not using the Trek Boots gives me a lot more support in the ankles which transferes up to my knees and my knees actually feel better after diving then befor I got my Trek Boots.

SubMariner:
Geez... how long does it take to put on a pair of running shoes?
I think Pug just needs the extra time to put on his DIR-make up. :devil:
I think I was floating around last night waiting for at least 15 minutes. :D

But then again... I don't mind waiting... seriously. And as for DIR-make up... haven't you seen my picture?!

Why I'm so purdy, I don't need any makeup... DIR or otherwise. :D

So a bunch of us are diving, and Pug's ready to go long before the rest of us, pacing around saying, let's go, let's go... But Bob's in the middle of a funny story...We're listening, Pug's looking up to the sky for Divine help... Can we go diving?? He gives up and heads for the water... to wait. The pressure is too much, so we hurry up and hit the water, right into a nice 2 knot current, because we are about 20 minutes ahead of slack, which Bob points out later at breakfast a few times, is because UP is in such a hurry to dive. Now, if he had only had a pair of rock boots to put on, maybe we would have hit the slack.
Picture below. Notice Pug in DS, Bob not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom