to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
... that is the question.

I'll be ordering a custom CLX450 next week, and have to make a decision.

To date, my suits have all come with regular drysuit boots. Now I have to decide whether to go with rock boots, or just get the soles.

What do you DUI users use? What do you like/dislike about the rock boots? Soles?

I'm leaning toward the rock boots ... but wouldn't mind some added perspective before I make up my mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
All my DUI dive buddies use the soles. And they do allot of rock shore diving at Lake Minni ****a. (It also allows them to use Jets instead of turtles FWIW)

Uncle Pug:
On the negative side for the rock boots is that they completely eliminate any trapped air in the feet and my feet were much more prone to getting cold using them.

I don't agree. If you could tie the boots tight enough to keep all the air out, your feet would fall off from lack of blood. Air will get there if you raise your foot a little.

Going from insulated boots with my Bare, to RB and suit sock with my kevlar suit, I was also concerned with warmth. I'm using the same socks, tying the boots snug, and am not having cold feet on 90+ minute dives.

MD

MechDiver:
I don't agree. If you could tie the boots tight enough to keep all the air out, your feet would fall off from lack of blood. Air will get there if you raise your foot a little.

Going from insulated boots with my Bare, to RB and suit sock with my kevlar suit, I was also concerned with warmth. I'm using the same socks, tying the boots snug, and am not having cold feet on 90+ minute dives.

MD
Well, obviously the Rock Boots won't keep all the air out... but they certainly keep the foot from filling with air even if tied loosely.

As for your feet not getting cold... that is wonderful news! But that was not my experience with my CF200 and Rock Boots.

At any rate... to each his own, eh? As for hiking to the water carrying double steels and a deco bottle... I'm fine with the Andy's attached boot.

The biggest complaint I have with the rock boots is the extra time and effort donning and doffing the suit. But if Bob ends up going with rock boots I'll just plan on stopping at Subway and having a DIRburger before arriving at the dive site. :D

I don't find my feet getting chilly at all either. I just wear one pair of socks and if for some reason it's not enough, I'll just double it up. Some air does get into the trek boot, but certainly not as much as with the regular boot. As for the extra time, it's only but a few minutes. I can't imagine being in such a rush that 3 minutes would make any difference. I pack my boots in my drysuit bag, and have yet to forget them.

My feet have never been cold not even once with the rock boots and I'm a huge baby about cold feet (and hands). I use a relatively thin wool sock called "smart wool." I can still get a little air in there even with gators and rockboots but I rarely need to. I usually suit up to my waist before diving and it's really no biggie to put on the rock boots. I have suited up while on a boat many times as well and it's really no big deal to slide into a pair of rock boots. Man those things get so bashed! I don't think they're a glorified pair of All Stars at all. The older one's maybe but not the new quick tight version. Loosen the laces, slide your fooot in, pull tight, and if you cut the laces correct, velcro them to the back. seriously, no big deal.

I have the 450 too along with the rock boots. I agree with most, get the rock boots. They do help keep air out of the feet. They are comfortable and nice to walk in pre and post dive. I also use gators on my 450 to keep the air in the legs to a minimum.

It's a great choice in Dry Suits.

Enjoy

CB

Hey... I don't mind waiting... I just don't like folks waiting on me. Go ahead with your Rock Boots... I'll suit up while you guys are getting your snorkles adjusted and we'll hit the water at about the same time. :D

Ouch Pug. Dissing my snorkel-time. Now that's low. :D

Bob,

Just so you know it, rock boots are not DIR! If this will cause you to lay awake nights, then go with turbo soles.

I've also got the rock boots and I like'em. I had attached boots on a Viking I owned before my DUI. What would occur is that the sole of the attached boot would plant firmly, then my foot would slide around inside the boot, either fore and aft if climbing down a slope to the water, or side to side if trying to climb over rocky coastlines (bad ju ju, esp. with doubles on). Same thing when moving around on boats. Rock boots eliminate this (Go figure...)

Other guys have different experiences, but that's my personal experience and thats why I use rock boots.

FWIW

One more opinion can't hurt. :wink:

I've got a custom CLX450 also and I got the rockboots. I love them. I also am in the same boat (so to speak) as CALI68 - my hands and feet get cold easily and I haven't had any problem with that with the rockboots and a pair of wool socks. :wink:

On a typical 1/2 hour ride out to the dive site I think I can spare a few minutes to put on my trek boots. It only eats into my sitting around doing nothing time a little. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom