to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Picture below. Notice Pug in DS, Bob not.

Also notice Shane ... Uncle Pug's "regular" dive buddy ... he's the guy on the left who's completely into his drysuit. He put his suit on the night before, so he'd be ready to go when U.P. was ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe..... Uncle Pug meant just one (or two) more things to have to put on. More of a pain in the arss, than time consuming. Sometimes its nice to just keep things simple. Why deal with two more things to don, and then have to load em in your bag later, etc..

He dives off his own boat too, so maybe the boat is a rockin more than the normal cattle boats the rest of us have to use (his boat is smaller). Puttin on boots whilst bobbin around maybe presents a little more challenge than the rest of us are used to.

I have heard this complaint from others.

And besides, you KNOW you want to be DIR. :wink:

BlueDolphin:
Puttin on boots whilst bobbin around maybe presents a little more challenge than the rest of us are used to.

I have heard this complaint from others.

And besides, you KNOW you want to be DIR. :wink:

Hmmm.... if that's the case I just sit down. :wink:

If you choose Turbo Soles remember three things:

1) They need to be snug no scratch that..tight.

2) Without "Fin Keepers" they're a PITA.

3) With "Fin Keepers" and a good snug fit they're Gods gift to Dry Suits.

Having said that, I still like rock boots because the feel so damn sturdy. They do however suck suck SUCK with Jet Fin sizing but we all know that already!

No one in my DIR F class really insisted either way. One of our interns had bungees instead of laces and that was said to be cool. Quick too. :)

CALI68:
If you choose Turbo Soles remember three things:

1) They need to be snug no scratch that..tight.

2) Without "Fin Keepers" they're a PITA.

3) With "Fin Keepers" and a good snug fit they're Gods gift to Dry Suits.
1 - Tight boots = cold feet

2 - No need for fin keepers if you don't overinflate the suit and the fins fit

3 - My turbo sole type boots (currently being replaced), were not snug even with 2 pair of socks... what you would call a "loose fit."

The Apollo Biofins I used to use and the Jetfins I currently use are a good fit. No finkeepers necessary. I did notice early on after my PADI use the drysuit for buoyancy control training that early in the dive with lots of gas in the suit, the air in the boots made the fins seem "floppy." I always wondered if they were just gonna pop right off :11: Now that I just keep enough gas in the suit to loft the undies, or even a bit more if I delay venting, that's not an issue at all any more.

Snowbear:
1 - Tight boots = cold feet

Not if they are tight because of C4 insulation.

Snowbear:
In my experience, if I use more layers to the point my boots are tight, my feet get cold.

Hmmmm? I use alomost no air (argon) in my suit and odly enough my feet stay very warm. Weird.

I didn't mean so tight that you're cuttin' off circulation but again snug. You can't deny snug. :)

Back
Top Bottom