to rock boot or not to rock boot ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the bungees. Pay attention Cali :wink:

I hate the turbo soles and love my rock boots. On and off in a flash, but it is a pain in the butt to get the bungee tight enough but not too tight.

Heh, someone got in trouble (by nwgrateful as I recall) for using someone's first name on the boards when it wasn't part of their username. ;D

CALI68:
If you choose Turbo Soles remember three things:

1) They need to be snug no scratch that..tight.

2) Without "Fin Keepers" they're a PITA.

3) With "Fin Keepers" and a good snug fit they're Gods gift to Dry Suits.

Hmmm. gotta say I disagree here. FWIW, my last suit came with rock boots. I sent it back & had them put on the turbosoles as I hated the rock boots (two more things to put on, two more things to take off, two more things to potentially forget, two more things to clean, two more things to hang up to dry in my NYC apartment...you get the idea)

I have never used fin keepers. I don't see the need. my turbo soles aren't 'tight'. they aren't particularly 'snug' either. they have a comfortable fit that allows the insulation to loft without restriction.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to rock boots for anything.

mweitz:
Heh, someone got in trouble (by nwgrateful as I recall) for using someone's first name on the boards when it wasn't part of their username. ;D

No one "got in trouble".

I did remind someone that it's common courtesy to ask before referring to another poster by their real name. Some people choose to use a "board name" because they don't want their real name posted on the Internet. That's their choice, and you should respect it. If they're cool with it, fine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh, and to follow up on the original post. I got my suit last week and (finally) got a chance to put some bottom time on it last night. I did get the rock boots, and have to say that I like them.

Overall, this suit ROCKS! It fits me much better than my former suit ... and I suspect that's why I was able to take a couple lbs. out of my weightbelt after the first dive.

The rock boots fit my Turtle fins better than the old drysuit boots, and I noticed I'm getting more glide out of my kick ... plus I did my most effective ever reverse kicking last night.

The only potential downside to the rock boots is that I noticed my toes getting a bit chilly on the second dive ... probably because the boots fit snugly enough that there's not much air getting in there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
I'll lace 'em up for you Bob... I usually have a lot of time on my hands at the dive sites... and you can keep jabbering... you'll just have to stand still.

Oooooohhhhh I wish I'd remembered this post last night ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've yet to purchase a drysuit, but since I'm planning to do DIRF at some point afterward, I had been thinking about this.

Having tried rock boots during my drysuit class, I was not happy about the way it "stiffened" my foot compared to wetsuit booties. I especially found ankle movement difficult. I now wondered if this stiffness would make the various types of kicks that the DIR class focuses on (reverse kicks, helicopter turns) difficult to master. Any opinions on this?

I've thought about just buying a drysuit with the "rockboot socks" (no turbo-soles) and then wearing slightly larger wetsuit booties over the socks. I 'm really satisfied with the wetsuit booties I have for going over rocks and such, since they have a stiff sole - I just don't think I want the ankle stiffness.

Opinions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom