• Yes, I do pee in my wetsuit

Votes: 548 72.3%
  • No, I dont pee in my wetsuit

Votes: 190 25.1%
  • No comment

Votes: 20 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't had to pee during a dive yet. I try to avoid it because my 5mm has merino and I've been told it will reek pretty bad if I do pee in it.

Just pee before you dive, silly-sallies, and focus on your diving...

Okay, I've tried to resist admitting this, but I must. I SWORE to myself that I would never pee in my wetsuit. And believe me, I tried to hold it. But as the dive went on, and the vis cleared up alot keeping my interest in continuing the dive, and the pain set in, I thought of all you people on the board insisting that it's okay, so, I let er rip.

Now, the second part of my confession. I really don't think I'll do it again unless I am in alot of pain, and the dive isn't near over. The thought for the rest of the dive was, "is it really flushing, or is it just flowing throughout the suit??" Kinda grossed me out. Then after I got home, I couldn't rinse my suit enough. So there, it's out there.

It did occur to me at the time, that I was glad my buddy was leading!:11:

It's been said but I'll say it again, urine is sterile. It's probably less harmful to you than the ocean you are swimming in (and certainly the lake.) And it comes in real handy if you tangle with a jellyfish. Think of it as a vaccination! :popcorn:

For the love of all that is holy, will people please stop using this "urine is sterile" as an excuse for peeing on themselves. While it's true that urine is sterile, just think for a moment what you'd do if a stranger walked up to you, whipped it out, and took a long whiz all over you. How many of you would shrug it off with "no biggie, it's sterile!" If you want to pee yourselves, go for it! Just don't think for a moment it's necessary or desirable. And especially don't assume everyone does it!

I am not a stranger to myself and I rarely walk up to me on the street. Can't speak for the existentialists in the group though. :idk:

Don't look now but you are currently touching pee, lot's of it, and it is INSIDE you! The horror! :banana::blessing::dropmouth:

LOL! peer. Gives a whole new light to "peer counseling" :rofl3:

I think that should have a hyphen in there somewhere. pee-r maybe?

Or how about peer pressure! :confined:

Just pee before you dive, silly-sallies, and focus on your diving...

Not very PC these days regarding folks like me who take medication for supersensitive bladders (not just when diving). Oh yeah-- 157 and 0 so far anyway.

Last edited:
It's been said but I'll say it again, urine is sterile. It's probably less harmful to you than the ocean you are swimming in (and certainly the lake.) And it comes in real handy if you tangle with a jellyfish. Think of it as a vaccination! :popcorn:

Urine directly from the bladder is normally sterile unless there is some kind of kidney/uti infection. When excreted urine becomes contaminated by bacteria in the lower urethra and for lack of better words your private parts. So basically when it gets out of your body it has already been contaminated and is no longer sterile. I have a write up in another thread but don't put urine on jellyfish stings. It is useless and in some cases depending on the jellyfish it will trigger more nematocysts causing more pain and injury.

I haven't had to pee during a dive yet. I try to avoid it because my 5mm has merino and I've been told it will reek pretty bad if I do pee in it.

When I get home from diving, I hang up my wetsuit, inside out, on a hanger outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine to dry. You won't need to use any kind of deodorizing product when you do that :)

Booties are a little different. I rinse those out a couple times in lake water, then hang them up on a bootie hanger outdoors next to the wetsuit. Before I tried the outdoor method, nothing would deodorize them.

Well, my computerized log show 112 entries on it now (I would have to add up the actual count, I made several dives before I owned it and dove without it several times, but a few of those in the log were pool dives as I was getting used to it) but using that as a measure I am 112-0 on my "not peeing" scorecard. My wife can speak for "ahem" self.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom