to paint tank or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
checked the search button and found a lot of conflicting advice. getting two used al 80's for my doubles rig and was wondering if i should have em painted or strip them and leave em bare? i like the way them new tanks look so clean and fresh but apparently the saltwater will make the metal finish fade and lose that shiny luster. on the other hand if i get em painted they will look good for only a short while before tanks are banged up. unless i get that dura-coat firearm finish that doesnt require heating to cure the paint?

there a way to keep the aluminum spanking new throughout? maybe some type of clearcoat to leave the finish looking shiny? have no clue

Tom Winters:
Leave the tanks bare. Revel in the way the aluminum slowly oxidizes with use to protect itself.

yep guess that will be my course of action

Ok, help me out here.

What does it matter if you paint your tanks or not? At best, it protects the metal better. At worst (?) you pick a lousy color or get paint inside.

But how could painting your tank make it dangerous????

rich

Many paints are heat cured and the heat will damage an AL tank resulting in an explosions at the next filling.

Paints that need no heat can be used but they are not so durable and may not be worth the trouble.

I can see the downsides there. Always wondered what the big deal was.

Not an issue with aluminium but certainly with steel is rust. You can't see what's happening with a steel tank if it's covered in paint.

A clean tank with a pretty painted finish is a sure sign of a newbie.

instead of painting why not try something like scubahide products --> http://www.scubahides.com/

something like these perhaps?
merman_detail.gif

catalog_alltanks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom