to paint tank or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visuals demand? Yours maybe - mine just whimper.

Seriously though, if your visuals really are demanding, I would ask them on what basis. And tell them you want it in writing.

roakey:
Visuals demand (not an option) that all stickers or anything that obscures the inspection of the exterior of the cylinder be removed for a visual inspection.

roakey:
FYI: http://www.scubahides.com/

Keep in mind that they will have to be removed for each and every visual, so you'll have to buy and replace it at least once a year.

Visuals demand (not an option) that all stickers or anything that obscures the inspection of the exterior of the cylinder be removed for a visual inspection.

That's the requirement. Now, if the shop actually follows PSI guidelines (http://www.psicylinders.com/) is another matter entirely.

Roak

Actually, you get a spare sleeve to replace if and when you do remove them, and they are only like $2.50 or something like that for more sleeves, Since I use AL80 tanks I don't really have as much to be worried about, at least not at this moment...

oxyhacker:
Visuals demand? Yours maybe - mine just whimper.

Seriously though, if your visuals really are demanding, I would ask them on what basis. And tell them you want it in writing.
*sniff* Vance, does this mean the "R.O." quote is coming off your page? :)

Are you saying that PSI protocol does not require all stickers to be removed? Or is your disagreement with the PSI protocol itself?

Roak

I got no arguement with the PSI protocols, but have never been able to find where they say that ALL old stickers (as opposed to just all old inspection stickers) MUST be removed each inspection.

As it happens, I was trying to get clarification of this very point at DEMA this year, and discussed it with several people at the PSI booth. I was told that the PSI protocols do not specify that all stickers must be removed, but only that the inspector must do whatever is necessary to satisfy him or herself that the exterior of the tank meets the standards. It could be argued that it is impossible to do this without removing the stickers, but if this is what PSI means it seems odd they don't come out and say so.

The Luxfer protocols, probably the second most-used, say only that "If labeling may hide or is suspected to hide a cylinder imperfection, remove label".

I have all five tanks re-painted. I had one problem getting it filled at one place.. When painting them make sure your hydro and psi stamps are visible.. Also be sure to have the most resent vis/hydro sticker on the tank. The only reason I painted these tanks is because the previous paint was badly chipped, I will not paint a new tank.......

oxyhacker:
I got no arguement with the PSI protocols, but have never been able to find where they say that ALL old stickers (as opposed to just all old inspection stickers) MUST be removed each inspection.
Interesting, I was told that in class, but cracking the book I can't find anything that says that, nor can I find that in the inspection protocol found in the workbook.

In fact, on page 58 of the "Inspecting Cylinders -- New addition" (3rd edition?) it says "Occasionally, cylinder owners may place stickers over corrosion sites to hide them from the inspector. It may be necessary to probe beneath these stickers [with the welt probe -- RO] as well."

So it really does imply that stickers do not have to be removed. I stand corrected.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom