How to strip a vinyl coated steel 72.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just rescued another steel 72 that the dive shop gave me. They don’t want anything painted or vinyl coated so I take them.
The first thing I do is pop the valve off and look inside. In this case it was a Dacor J valve, which still appears to be on OK outer condition. Inside could be another story. The valve will probably be replaced.
I took a peek inside and it looks fabulous. No pitting, a little haze but nothing my cleaning tools can’t handle. And it’s not epoxy coated thank god!
So now onto the outer coating. It has to come off. There was a section missing where all the stamps are and it’s a little surface rusty but no deep pits at all. I also had to tap off the boot which is one of those tight fitting type that has rusted out so many bottoms. Perfect underneath!
So I began to just see what it’s going to take to remove the thick vinyl coating. It turns out the easiest way on this tank at least is to use a rigid putty knife that is sharpened like a chisel, and just slide it under the coating being careful not to gouge the tank metal. Some comes off in little pieces but most of it comes off in fairly sizable pieces.
After the tank is all stripped of vinyl it will get a light sand blast, a few coats of cold galvanizing zinc, then it goes to hydro.
It’s a PST 2250 with Dacor’s name on it and the born-on date is 5-67.
Another rescued steel 72 for the tank farm.
4A51A701-75E9-42D0-8E44-B48C8276EB3A.jpeg

What about the heat guns used to remove paint set on low to soften the coating and then the putty knife?

Seriously... I need about 3 72s to fall into my lap like that. Lol
I’d take any that fell into my lap as well! I’ve only had one that was vinyl coated. A heat gun and scraper worked for quite a bit. I used some orange stripper that softened up the rest. Then a bit of elbow grease to get tank full clean. It’s now a plus stamped tank back in use.

Seriously... I need about 3 72s to fall into my lap like that. Lol
You gotta live in Kalifornia bro!
Being a coastal state, there was a lot of ocean sports happening here from the inception. Maybe not as much as Southern California but there was still a fair amount of diving. I believe what we’re seeing now with all this vintage gear surfacing is the old timers who were the original divers around here have since given it up or died. All this cool old stuff is coming out of storage and some of it ends up at the dive shop and some floats around until someone like me comes along with a big mouth about my love of everything diving. I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg with vintage gear.

You can’t get the good stuff anymore.

Not surprised in California

You mean like aircraft stripper?

Just hardware store paint stripper (1960s). Probably a dumb question but have you tested lacquer thinner, triclor, or acetone on a small area to see what solvent works best? Carburetor cleaner maybe?

Not surprised in California

Just hardware store paint stripper (1960s). Probably a dumb question but have you tested lacquer thinner, triclor, or acetone on a small area to see what solvent works best? Carburetor cleaner maybe?
Acetone is really fast. MEK would be better but we can’t get that any more. We can’t even get regular mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, or turpentine!!
I suppose I could try some acetone and try to get it to soak down between the steel and the coating.
It might loosen it?
Lacquer thinner these days is nothing more than acetone with some retarders added. It’s not the same stuff I remember back in the 80’s when I worked in body shops.

Back
Top Bottom