to paint tank or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300:
I've never understood the need to decorate something that is essentially a 'tool'...kind of like putting a mural on a table saw...

Maybe not a table saw, but LOTS of people want pretty gear. Probably no one more than me. That's why they make BC's, wetsuits, TANKS, etc..... in different colors and styles. Coordinate!

Don't know if this will work but what about those simple vinyl stickers that you can cut out to whatever shape you want. They would be CHEAP and easy to replace..... ???????????

pipedope:
Many paints are heat cured and the heat will damage an AL tank resulting in an explosions at the next filling.

Paints that need no heat can be used but they are not so durable and may not be worth the trouble.

Having spent 10 years in industrial finishing, I can tell you with great certainty that there are MANY ways that you can paint a tank that does not require heat (at least nothing over 70 degrees F). Many of them however, do require spray equipment. Some methods don't require spray application but the obvious draw back would be aesthetics. In addition, the material cost would in most cases outweigh the cost of a new tank. However, if you have several tanks, it might make sense.

A good, basic system for aluminum would be:
1) Thoroughly clean the bare aluminum surface (there are several ways to do this)
2) Apply a coat of industrial vinyl wash primer at < 1 mil dry.
3) Apply a coat of recoatable epoxy primer or sandable urethane primer
4) Apply 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Polane HS Polyurethane.

The above system can be used for steel just by omitting step 2 (you can do step if you like but it's not required for steel).

Follow the mixing procedures, application conditions and dry times and you'll be fine.

All of the above is a 10,000 ft view of "How to paint a tank". Feel free to PM me with specific questions or product recomendations.

Why aren't alumimum tanks anodized?

cyklon_300:
well with some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror of your dive vehicle. Very kitsch...

I've never understood the need to decorate something that is essentially a 'tool'...kind of like putting a mural on a table saw...

hahahaha...personally, i wouldn't want to get caught dead with one of these...but as earlier posted these would be cool door stops :D

I have Spoken to SchubaHides about their tanks designs, and have been assured that if Properly applied, their shrink tubes will completely seal up and you won't have to worry bout it, on the other hand if you fail to check you tanks after each trip or two this could be a problem with steel tanks...

I myself have ordered two of the Designs from them and will be trying them out, and seeing how they ork, from what I have heard they are pretty good and are a good conversation peice. Plus if your a LDS you can have them custom made with your logo.. JUst my opinion....

FYI: http://www.scubahides.com/

Keep in mind that they will have to be removed for each and every visual, so you'll have to buy and replace it at least once a year.

Visuals demand (not an option) that all stickers or anything that obscures the inspection of the exterior of the cylinder be removed for a visual inspection.

That's the requirement. Now, if the shop actually follows PSI guidelines (http://www.psicylinders.com/) is another matter entirely.

Roak

The absolute scuba design looks pretty neat. But I don't think I would chance the fact that salt water may get stuck between the vinyl and my steel tank. I'll just stick to the cold galvanize spray paint Fill Express uses if the tank needs it.

here's a thought...get it powder coated. inexpensive and lasts quite a long time.

roakey:
FYI: http://www.scubahides.com/

Keep in mind that they will have to be removed for each and every visual, so you'll have to buy and replace it at least once a year.

Their website says that you can read the vis sticker even with the tank hide on. And apparently you only need to buy the clear part again if you need to take it off...you can reuse the pretty part.

Still seems like a lot of silliness to me. I use beat up old rental tanks I bought from a dive shop that was closing. I'd rather go diving than pretty them up. Just MHO.

cyklon_300:

choppermixer.jpg

Sooooo, you don't like this mixer? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom